Looking for a job an employers market?

So I work in IT and have recently started looking round for a new job. I mostly use job websites, things like Jobsite, Indeed jobs, Totaljobs etc. Generally the jobs I go for suit my skills and if I'm lucky I generally get an interview, and almost always through employment agencies - this is how I got my current job a couple of years ago.

What seriously winds me up is how I get treated, both by the agencies and sometimes the employers too.

They'll be happy, accessible and full of beans on initial contact - full of promises to keep me up-to-date, give me any feedback after the interview and be my best friend! However the minute the interview is over and I've called them back with how I thought it went, that's it - all contact is suddenly broken (unless of course I'm successful in getting through).

There's no forthcoming information about how I did, no feedback to help me improve next time, nothing.

At one point I even went as far as finding out more about one recruiter by Googling them, searching the company details etc and getting 3 different numbers for them. Left several messages and still never received a callback after the interview.

There was another time I applied for a role which matched perfectly what I've been doing for years in knowledge and experience and I didn't even get past the agency, of course I politely enquired as to why I hadn't got through so as to help me next time - and of course no response.

Yet I obviously have to put on my best smile and best foot forwards again and again, every time I apply for a role to try and give myself the best possible chance. It just seems such a 2 faced business to be in, whilst lacking utterly in aftercare...

Does anyone else find this happens to them too?

It's not happened to me personally of late.

I've always simply refused to go to an agency for an interview. That's just to get on their 'books'.

What irritates me these days is applying for a job on line, and having to subject yourself to a 'profiling quiz' which takes an hour or more. "If this happened then what would you do?" type questions. Then you wait and wait for a response which gives you no clue as to what you said being right or wrong? As I said, it's not happened to me, but someone close has faced this many many times, and still not got past the questionnaire stage.

The problem is partly how you find these jobs without using an agency though, it's impossible to trawl through so many business websites trying for direct applications. The other option is just to stick with big businesses direct or public offices, but I think that's quite limiting.

And whilst I'm on my soapbox...

There is also the way agencies don't disclose which company the job is with until the last minute, on several occasions I've unknowingly applied for a position multiple times through different agencies!

And don't get me started on secret salaries. I'm always instantly expected to state my exact wage, and then my exact expected wage on my next job - even though I can't be exact as it depends on so many other things, commuting distance, hours, perks, etc, etc.

Yet it was only last month I went for an interview for a position with an undisclosed salary, and upon attending the interview found out it was less than I was on already - that was a whole days holiday wasted... :rolleyes:

So I work in IT and have recently started looking round for a new job. I mostly use job websites, things like Jobsite, Indeed jobs, Totaljobs etc. Generally the jobs I go for suit my skills and if I'm lucky I generally get an interview, and almost always through employment agencies - this is how I got my current job a couple of years ago.

What seriously winds me up is how I get treated, both by the agencies and sometimes the employers too.

They'll be happy, accessible and full of beans on initial contact - full of promises to keep me up-to-date, give me any feedback after the interview and be my best friend! However the minute the interview is over and I've called them back with how I thought it went, that's it - all contact is suddenly broken (unless of course I'm successful in getting through).

There's no forthcoming information about how I did, no feedback to help me improve next time, nothing.

At one point I even went as far as finding out more about one recruiter by Googling them, searching the company details etc and getting 3 different numbers for them. Left several messages and still never received a callback after the interview.

There was another time I applied for a role which matched perfectly what I've been doing for years in knowledge and experience and I didn't even get past the agency, of course I politely enquired as to why I hadn't got through so as to help me next time - and of course no response.

Yet I obviously have to put on my best smile and best foot forwards again and again, every time I apply for a role to try and give myself the best possible chance. It just seems such a 2 faced business to be in, whilst lacking utterly in aftercare...

Does anyone else find this happens to them too?

This is my experience of the recruitment industry too :confused:

I found the best way to deal with them is treat them the same. Find 2 or 3 recruitment people you like and keep a good relationship with them.

Any new ones phone, be as mercenary as you can.

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 13:55 ----------

The problem is partly how you find these jobs without using an agency though, it's impossible to trawl through so many business websites trying for direct applications. The other option is just to stick with big businesses direct or public offices, but I think that's quite limiting.

And whilst I'm on my soapbox...

There is also the way agencies don't disclose which company the job is with until the last minute, on several occasions I've unknowingly applied for a position multiple times through different agencies!

And don't get me started on secret salaries. I'm always instantly expected to state my exact wage, and then my exact expected wage on my next job - even though I can't be exact as it depends on so many other things, commuting distance, hours, perks, etc, etc.

Yet it was only last month I went for an interview for a position with an undisclosed salary, and upon attending the interview found out it was less than I was on already - that was a whole days holiday wasted... :rolleyes:

The salary thing is hilarious japes! I went to countless interviews last year where I was expected to state salary...I got the feeling they just wanted to get away with paying as little as they can! it got to the stage I was just pricing myself out the market for a laugh and see what I could get away with.

I know where you are coming from...some employers expect you just to be happy with a job, they treat employees with that much contempt. They don't care that it's 5 grand less than your previous employer and you might struggle.

Edited by Tomjames

Ofc its two faced, but you need to accept it and move on.

The employer is interested only in finding the right person.

The job agency is only interested in finding the right person for the employer.

They arent there to give you or get you jobs unless you meet the criteria above. If you failed to be selected then you are not going to get much time from them. If you are a candidate then they are closer to getting paid so they have to be polite. Not all agencies are like this. Lots of people just dont have the time as they ahve their own deadlines to meet.

---------- Post added 24-05-2016 at 14:07 ----------

They have to keep the employer a secret for fear of losing out to a competitir ir you going direct.

9/10 agencies will kiss your backside while they think you are a fit for a job. Remember you are a product they are packaging to sell to a prospective employer, nothing more. They don't care about you, just the money they will make in commision. The sums are eye watering for some professions.

I got fitted up for a job recently, great pay, the recruitment person was super attentive. The day before I looked into it again and decided it wasn't for me. The recruitment person was on holiday and emailed me if I was all ready...she was not best pleased! I love wasting their time, it's great when the power is in your hands.

I got fitted up for a job recently, great pay, the recruitment person was super attentive. The day before I looked into it again and decided it wasn't for me. The recruitment person was on holiday and emailed me if I was all ready...she was not best pleased! I love wasting their time, it's great when the power is in your hands.

Thats due to the fee they receive for every applicant that is interviewed. I have been asked numerous times to "Just interview for a position and then make up your mind" I have already turned down. I know why and I refuse to play ball.

Thats due to the fee they receive for every applicant that is interviewed. I have been asked numerous times to "Just interview for a position and then make up your mind" I have already turned down. I know why and I refuse to play ball.

Yes quotas. I tend to use the same 2 people as they are not all bad.

they don't receive a fee for every candidate interviewed, but they are expected to field a decent line up for interview and then take a commission based on a %age of starting salary. So you were being fielded to make a decent line up

they don't receive a fee for every candidate interviewed, but they are expected to field a decent line up for interview and then take a commission based on a %age of starting salary. So you were being fielded to make a decent line up

My understanding is it's normal only to receive a fee if they place the successful candidate and that the commission is staggered based on how successful and how long the candidate stays.

when we have used them it was 20% of starting salary including any benefits (car, PHI etc). If they stayed less than 6 months, then you negotiated a refund. Some may have the refund %age built into the contract, can't remember, been a few years since I was involved