Whats happened to the Brown Bear on Norfolk Street

Lunch time today I decided to call in the Bear so as to have a pint or two with long standing friends who have used this pub for the last fifty odd years.

When I entered I got the shock of my life !!!! the Tap room, a room that has always been over flowing on a Saturday lunch time was almost empty .

I ordered a pint and asked a lone drinker at the bar what had happened and he told me that since the no swearing and no singing rule was applied then the old brigade had left for pastures new that still catered for proper Sheffielders in the way that has always been the way in Sheffields traditional pubs .

What a shame that this bastion of Sheffield boozers has now been ruined by the rush for genteelness and yuppyisime .

Lunch time today I decided to call in the Bear so as to have a pint or two with long standing friends who have used this pub for the last fifty odd years.

When I entered I got the shock of my life !!!! the Tap room, a room that has always been over flowing on a Saturday lunch time was almost empty .

I ordered a pint and asked a lone drinker at the bar what had happened and he told me that since the no swearing and no singing rule was applied then the old brigade had left for pastures new that still catered for proper Sheffielders in the way that has always been the way in Sheffields traditional pubs .

What a shame that this bastion of Sheffield boozers has now been ruined by the rush for genteelness and yuppyisime .

It's not that - it's the brewery owner being an idiot.

Well personally I do not swear in company especially if ladies are present unless they have tattoos and crew cutts of course.:hihi:

You'll be an ideal customer for the Brown Bear then. ;)

You'll be an ideal customer for the Brown Bear then. ;)

I am now :hihi:

I always find sam smiths lager tastes really odd don't like it at all.

hi guys I love a pint and natter in the bear,its great or was,whats is a matter with these people,it was a old fashioned pub

hi guys I love a pint and natter in the bear,its great or was,whats is a matter with these people,it was a old fashioned pub

It isn't a question of 'these people' doing anything it is one person, the owner of the brewery, who has decided to make his pubs even more old fashioned by bringing in Victorian era rules about etiquette.

There are few stories doing the rounds. Basically it seems that he likes to randomly turn up in his pubs and has got annoyed at people swearing when his has visited them. After hearing swearing in one place he shut it down for the night and disciplined the staff (if I recall correctly). He is pretty reclusive so no one knows what he looks like and the staff in his pubs are wary about him turning up so they enforce his rules in case he is sat at the end of the bar.

I know Sam's sell not bad beer at relatively cheap prices but they also short measure by order of the owner:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news/65093/pintsized-row-comes-to-a-head

I wonder if he knows the price of motorbikes these days? Whatever he thinks he knows it's, probably, outdated. The people he thinks he is keeping out are not the people he thinks they are.

As for the swearing? Time and place. I used to go to one of his pubs until they started to refuse to top up the pints, then never again.

I'm going to have so much fun not-swearing in the Brown Bear. I mean what the frack does this drokking muddy funkster think he's playing at? Fuppin' Jeremy Hunt.

Edited by birobasher