Britain is the most corrupt country in the world

Well it's a poll of some 74,000 people scientific or not.

But so far the turnout is appalling! Only 400 odd votes.

But so far the turnout is appalling! Only 400 odd votes.

Yep looks like the remainers couldn't be bothered to turn out.

I would be interested to know which country is the least corrupt.

I would be interested to know which country is the least corrupt.

Denmark apparently.

It's amazing how the Scandinavian countries seem to be really well run and successful yet we hear very little about them, and never seem to follow their example.

Meanwhile, we always seem to follow America's lead, even though it has one of the worst records for education, and lots of other things, and I suspect is pretty corrupt too. And it's thousands of miles away when Scandinavia is on the doorstep.

More nonsense in the news today.

"Tories Michael Gove and Boris Johnson and Labour's Gisela Stuart wrote in the Sun that the tax on energy bills cannot be scrapped because of EU rules."

They have never mentioned lowering this tax before, why now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36414761

This probably correlates with the strength of democratic institutions. Denmark is also the most democratic country in Europe, whereas the UK is one of the most undemocratic, ahead only of France and Poland (as measured in 2011).

Interesting that some of those countries that rate well in the corruption perception index and in the list you provide are in EU as well. The Scandinavian countries as Anna B mentions.

How does that tally for Brexiters? It's demonstrably possible to have a democratic and uncorrupted state and be in the EU. Maybe the perceived lack of EU democracy Brexiters feel is not the fault of the EU?

It's amazing how the Scandinavian countries seem to be really well run and successful yet we hear very little about them, and never seem to follow their example.

Meanwhile, we always seem to follow America's lead, even though it has one of the worst records for education, and lots of other things, and I suspect is pretty corrupt too. And it's thousands of miles away when Scandinavia is on the doorstep.

In comparison the Scandis are small countries. Only 5 million people in Denmark.

We are more inline with a germany or france or US who face similar challenges to UK.

---------- Post added 31-05-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Denmark apparently.

The happiest too. I'd be happy in england if we only had 5 million people too!

Edited by Tomjames

Interesting that some of those countries that rate well in the corruption perception index and in the list you provide are in EU as well. The Scandinavian countries as Anna B mentions.

How does that tally for Brexiters? It's demonstrably possible to have a democratic and uncorrupted state and be in the EU. Maybe the perceived lack of EU democracy Brexiters feel is not the fault of the EU?

What we lack, and have lacked for years, is decent government.

It is far too short sighted, and these days, dogged by personal self interest.

I'd also say we are far too deferential to class and tradition.

We seem to think corruption is endemic in other countries, but doesn't / couldn't happen here. A belief that is completely mistaken.