CCTV recommendations and advice - No advertising/jobs/quotes

So you're happy to tell people online what's illegal and isn't. And at the same time talk about "ways and means" of forcing people to change their behaviour. You realise that any "ways and means" that you aren't prepared to actually describe probably are really illegal, unlike having cameras.

How amusing that you don't care about accepting the consequences but wouldn't challenge what the police told you about some cameras.

You talk the big talk, when it's just typing on a forum.

The threats, sniping, bickering and arguing is to stop. Otherwise people will be getting suspended.

i started this thread for some advice on CCTV cameras and what systems are good to fit, not all this nonsense....

Hikvision Tvi ( turbo ) cameras / dvr , much better than the Swann rubbish 1080p , free DNS service for mobile viewing

Hikvision Tvi ( turbo ) cameras / dvr , much better than the Swann rubbish 1080p , free DNS service for mobile viewing

Swann are rebranded Hikvision products anyway so if Swann are rubbish then so are Hikvision :hihi: = http://www.vueville.com/home-security/cctv/ip-cameras/hikvision-network-camera-2015-guide/

I don't pay anything for my remote viewing either and an 8 channel 2TB nvr with 4 cameras that record audio as well for £450 is good IMO.

Edited by mafya

Some ... Not all ....It's pot luck what you get Swann do some AHD which is not a Hikvision format, and the network cameras are built to a lower spec

Edited by alarmingmark
Wrong info

Er.... Swann is made by Hikvision.......:o

i started this thread for some advice on CCTV cameras and what systems are good to fit, not all this nonsense....

I am sorry for as it seems giving you bad advice on my experiences with the system i fitted. I seem to have been wrongly advised/spoken to by the police, i genuinely was trying to offer advice by people who i trust to know the law and dont question a police officer and why should i ? The officers i spoke to seemed to knoe ther stuff and advised me on what i can and cannot do, i have been slated for what i have said snd dont react well when people try to belittle me as its againts everything i have ever known. I appologise if i have offended anyone but at the end of the day it was genuinely credited advice that was wrong.

Thanks starlc

i am wanting to put up a simple two camera(one back one front garden) type cctv system ... frankly i am befuddled!

i have read reviews and trawled through loads of info but i am no wiser..

i had cctv many years ago and it was just a camera that plugged in and a wire connecting it to a vcr to record...

now i'm seeing 'earthnet' and 'wifi' and nvr/dvr

can't find the dummies guide to cctv purchasing/installation so here i am asking

the main questions are...

in a wired system..

does it need wiring to the router? or does wired just mean wiring to the dvr which could be in a room close to where the camera is sited, and not involve cabling going round the house...other than the cable from the second camera at the back of the house i presume?

wifi system...

so these cameras need to be wired to a power source but the picture signal is sent wirelessly to the dvr box..

does this dvr box need to be plugged into a router ?

is one system better than the other?

appreciate any help or recommendations and apologise if these questions are a bit on the 'basic' side

thanks....kit

... frankly i am befuddled!

i have read reviews and trawled through loads of info but i am no wiser..

i had cctv many years ago and it was just a camera that plugged in and a wire connecting it to a vcr to record...

In the interests of keeping this very simple, what I would recommend is that you just buy a cheap 4-Channel DVR with BNC connectors.

Just connect the cameras to the DVR in a secure place, and the DVR to a monitor, and then worry about all the internet and viewing on mobile phone stuff later. You can get up and running and secure in a few hours, and if you are a technophobe I suspect you will never bother with all the more complicated stuff. It will be just like the system you used to have, only much better quality images.

Something like this, but you can find cheaper.

Good luck.