Epson printer problems

I have an Epson scanner printer that I rarely use, today I want to print something but it says out of black ink. Fortunately I have a couple of compatible cartridges but it is saying they are incompatible, I have had the printer about 9 years and never used the Epson ink since the first ones run out. All the other compatible cartridges are showing they have ink in. Any one any idea why it will not let me print, they are Epson compatible with the correct number on and fit perfectly.

Edited by iansheff

How long have you had the cartridges? Could they have dried out? If the printer thinks they are empty then sometimes it will come up with the not recognised message.

Possible that the contacts are dirty. Try cleaning the gold plate with a cloth or eraser. Reinsert and see if they work.

If that doesn't work switch the printer off at the mains for 30 seconds incase the printer has remembered the not recognised status - switching it off at the mains should clear the memory.

Also if you don't use the printer often enough the printheads can dry up. I suggest printing something at least once a month to make sure this doesn't happen.

When you shake the cartridge the ink is moving about, the cartridge was in a sealed bag just like Epson one are. Cleaned the contacts and re inserted the cartridge several times, just annoying. For the amount of printing i do i don't want to buy another printer.

Could try following the advice here on how to clean the print heads. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1668672/fixing-clogged-epson-print-heads.html

I had an Epson printer which I hadn't used for a while suffer from blocked print heads. In the end I bought a new printer. I tried a print head cleaning kit and a new cartridge but nothing worked.

Best thing is to keep using it. Either that or buy a printer that doesn't have built in print heads. I think HP have the print heads as part of the cartridge probably other brands too.

I can't use it as it will not let me print when it shows an empty cartridge which is what it shows when it says incompatible. I will look at that link though thanks.

I meant keep using it for future reference as in if you can get it working again or if you have to buy a new printer. The problems start in my experience when you haven't used the printer for a good length of time.

Alternatively look at printers which don't have the print head on the printer and on the cartridge instead.

Isn't it possible to clean the print head? I know that solvents for the ink do exist. I think you can buy a piece of electronics for resetting the full/empty register for the cartridge. Not sure whether it will convince the printer that the cartridge is an Epson, though. Might be worth looking into? I've experienced similar refusal ref incompatibility and so far as I can remember I overcame them by persevering with things such as plugging the old cartridge in and getting the "empty" refusal, then plugging the compatible cartridge in. My printer is an SX115. What model is yours?

Edited by woolyhead