Recommend me a good car

Is it different to the AdBlue used by some manufactuers?

Yep. Although Peugeot has now abandoned ELOYS and has an Adblue tank in the boot, but only in newer cars than Banjo's.

Nope, I concede, I thought petrol engines had caught up, but they haven't. And I also thought diesel cost more, but not significantly. Nothing like the double you claimed of course, but a 25% saving. So long as you do enough mileage that will offset the increased purchase cost and maintenance costs.

The new Ford EcoBoost engines are pretty close to be honest, the 125ps does circa 45mpg and the 100ps is a squidge under 50mpg (all average).

Mind you that is a brand new engine, not a 10 year old diesel and I've no idea what the latest diesel engines are doing?

And to be honest, i find the torque from a diesel engine better to drive, imo

I hope you enjoy your new car and get plenty of trouble free miles out of it.

What are you using for the comparison here? The mpg of diesels is only significantly higher if you are doing motorway, for urban or mixed driving it's no where near double, and diesels driven predominantly on short cities runs inevitably hit problems with the DPF.

A friend recently went to the coast in his pre 2000 Renault 1.4 diesel 7 seater, he got over 60mpg, I get 29-33mpg in my 1.6 2006 5 seater

I hope you enjoy your new car and get plenty of trouble free miles out of it.

Thanks Kate, fingers crossed:)

The new Ford EcoBoost engines are pretty close to be honest, the 125ps does circa 45mpg and the 100ps is a squidge under 50mpg (all average).

Mind you that is a brand new engine, not a 10 year old diesel and I've no idea what the latest diesel engines are doing?

My ten year old diesel in the BMW does 133kW (so about 180PS) and gets 68mpg.....

Diesels are inherently more efficient especially with a turbocharger and there is more energy in the fuel as well. It's really not fair to compare petrol and diesel unless both are turbocharged - the EcoBoost ones are the best comparisons I suspect.

A friend recently went to the coast in his pre 2000 Renault 1.4 diesel 7 seater, he got over 60mpg, I get 29-33mpg in my 1.6 2006 5 seater

You get 30 to the gallon a comparable long trip at high speeds? Is it broken? I get 30 on a long trip, but it's a 3.0l V6.

You get 30 to the gallon a comparable long trip at high speeds? Is it broken? I get 30 on a long trip, but it's a 3.0l V6.

I have not had it long, I was getting 30mpg, then it had problems(getting 25mpg) and I replaced the coil packs, this week it seems to be getting 34mpg.

I did seem to get another 1-2mpg with shell special.