Insuring a British Iron & Steel Federation house

Hi

Just wondered if anyone else is having trouble finding an insurance company who will insure building and contents of a British Iron & Steel Federation house. They were built around 1948 and there must be thousands all over the country but a lot of insurers refuse to insure these. I wonder why. The Council updated them with central heating, UPVC and insulation. Can anyone enlighten me.

Are these the ones with a steel frame and concrete? If so they suffer extensively from concrete cancer which reduces the strength of the steel frame considerably. I can understand why you are having trouble getting buildings insurance for one of these (many mortgage companies will not lend you money to buy one either).

Are these the ones with a steel frame and concrete? If so they suffer extensively from concrete cancer which reduces the strength of the steel frame considerably. I can understand why you are having trouble getting buildings insurance for one of these (many mortgage companies will not lend you money to buy one either).

Yes these are the ones you refer to. I have never had any trouble with this type of house and I have lived in it since 1964. I bought it a few years ago and whilst I can find one insurer, they keep upping the price so I thought I would try and find an alternative one but with no luck so far. Thank you for your reply.

You could try this website:http://www.refusedhouseinsurance.uk.com/non-standardproperty.html

i wasn't aware that the council had any BISF houses ?

I know they have Reema, Wates, Unity and Airey and No-Fines, which are all system built houses but people i know who live in those have no problems getting insurance.

where abouts do you live in Sheffield ?

Re British Iron & Steel Federation houses are all over the country. The ones I refer to are classed as being in Derbyshire just on the border with Sheffield.

Re British Iron & Steel Federation houses are all over the country. The ones I refer to are classed as being in Derbyshire just on the border with Sheffield.

yes i am aware they are all over the country i assumed it was Sheffield council you were talking about, and as far as i am aware SCC doesn't have any BISF houses:)

I am from Sheffield, Attercliffe area actually. Thank you all for your replies.

Minny

BISF houses do not suffer from concrete cancer whatsoever.

Concrete cancer relates to other types of prefabricated houses that incorporated pre cast dwellings.

Regards

Marc

If you search for concrete cancer on Wikipedia you will find more information.

The Halifax used to be one of the major insurers for this type of house but since being taken over by Lloyds they are only insuring existing users.

I am currently in talks with them regarding opening back up to the whole market.

Apologies for the break in posts as my pc keeps shutting down and I have to log back in.