Insuring a British Iron & Steel Federation house

There are some iron houses in Highgreen built around that time. Mortgages are VERY difficult to obtain on them. Newton Chambers built them in various parts of the country. They are made of plates bolted together and then rendered with a concrete mix. I have seen one stripped of its rendering, it looks OK, just wants coating again, It'll do another 60 years then..........at least.

There are some iron houses in Highgreen built around that time. Mortgages are VERY difficult to obtain on them. Newton Chambers built them in various parts of the country. They are made of plates bolted together and then rendered with a concrete mix. I have seen one stripped of its rendering, it looks OK, just wants coating again, It'll do another 60 years then..........at least.

Were they stripped back for renovation Nimrod?

I would really like to find out more about Newton Chambers, that is the first time I have heard them mentioned. I have been researching these houses for a while now and trying to locate original old photographs and even original plans.

It's been hard work and not always easy to locate this material.:)

Were they stripped back for renovation Nimrod?

I would really like to find out more about Newton Chambers, that is the first time I have heard them mentioned. I have been researching these houses for a while now and trying to locate original old photographs and even original plans.

It's been hard work and not always easy to locate this material.:)

The houses are on Mortomley Close. Highgreen Archive have pictures of them in their publications. They have/or had a website. One of the houses currently has some exposed plates. its on the corner, side of the footpath leading down past the new estate. The estate office down in the Thorncliffe Industrial Estate has a collection of photographs. Some history may be available there. Its just round the corner from Thorncliffe Garage. Mick at the Garage will point it out for you.

Best of luck with your research.