Complete numpty i need some advice

Hi

Just a quick one , my fireplace has been bricked up , I intend to re-open it ,

never done anything like this before so going at it blind so to speak,

is it easier to just have an open fire or is a log burner more simple ,

plus what does it invove , do I need my chimney checked etc , don't laugh ( I'm female ) can't wait to get the big hammer out .. any advice welcome :)

If it's bricked up and skimmed over then remove the plaster and you should be able to see where the bricks tie into the the original opening, you have to assume there is a lintel supporting the brickwork above it. If you have a log burner you need a flue installed or one will have to be installed inside your chimney .Tbh, it's not worth the risk, i would get someone who is competent enough to do it for you.Top marks for giving it a try though.

..........and be careful if there is some ancient plumbing to the old fire back!

Hi

Just a quick one , my fireplace has been bricked up , I intend to re-open it ,

never done anything like this before so going at it blind so to speak,

is it easier to just have an open fire or is a log burner more simple ,

plus what does it invove , do I need my chimney checked etc , don't laugh ( I'm female ) can't wait to get the big hammer out .. any advice welcome :)

north west sheff is ok for solid fuel, other areas in sheff you are not allowed unless i believe you burn a 'clearburn' stove (or so i've been told) if your chimneys sound and not leaking with the correct terminal you will not need to have it lined either, you should use a hetas registered engineer or you are allowed to fit it yourself - you just have to have the council out to check it for you at a cost of £50

We just took a sledgehammer to the plaster and bricks to open up the old fireplace. This is probably not recommended and I spent the whole job worrying the house was going to fall down with every hammer blow. rather than messing about with the chimney we put an electric 'mock fire' stove in which looks nice and kicks out the heat.

Thankyou for all the advice , I've not whacked it with the hammer yet as I'm sorting out a log burner , but all very helpful thankyou :)

Careful bashing the hell out of an old fireplace, as it will propably contain asbestos somewhere. Make sure you wear an FFP3 respirator just in case!;-)

chimney sweep and check if you need a liner,i make and fit stone surrounds but always have chimney checked by experts.