House revamp - where to start ?

Where exactly is the mould, because depending on the issue you have it might just come straight back.

Good ventilation, external waterproofing and sufficient heating are the best ways to keep it at bay.

Usually it's quite a simple fix, but the key is identifying the problem in the first place.

For example there's no point in replacing the seal round the windows if the damp issue is caused by leaking roof guttering.

Thank you! That's an encouraging case in point... i am now thinking about following this rough order of things as well.

Can you recommend any window fixing people who can remove mold from the surrounds and reseal the window? Thanks.

I've only had windows replaced, not repaired. For removing mold, just wipe some Bleach across it,then wipe it down.

Depending on what needs resealing, if it's just the Caulk, why not have a bash yourself? Put masking tape either side and then have a go and then smooth it down with a wet finger.

Where exactly is the mould, because depending on the issue you have it might just come straight back.

Good ventilation, external waterproofing and sufficient heating are the best ways to keep it at bay.

Usually it's quite a simple fix, but the key is identifying the problem in the first place.

For example there's no point in replacing the seal round the windows if the damp issue is caused by leaking roof guttering.

Hi

The mould is sadly not just a stain in the sealant or caulk etc that can be treated with bleach. Rather, there is a rubber seal all around the edge of the glass pane. Well about 1-2 inches of this seal is missing at the corners and inside that hole/gap i can see black mould. I'm assuming it's running all the way under that seal. The seal I think had to be removed, the underneath must be cleaned and then seal replaced. I could perhaps remove the seal myself but I would not be able to replace it precisely as before. Also the missing bits have to be filled appropriately. I'm afraid if I touch it, I'll make it worse, so looking for a professional advice.

I'm presuming that, by your description, the widows are the older type pvc frames with external beading? If so, remove a small piece of the rubber and look on ebay for a similar profile (there are half a dozen or more different profiles). When the rubber is completely removed, spray a little Flash with bleach (other products are available lol) into the gap, which will kill the mould spores and ease fitting the new rubber. It can be cut to length with a craft knife and simply pushed into place (use a blunt piece of plastic or wood to persuade the stubborn bits).