Electric problem in the house

Was there no electrical certificate/guarantee when the house was newly-built?

House is 13 years old . H.S.B.C. gives a 10 year guarantee for major faults.

Think you would be very lucky to get a builder or Electric installer to give a guarantee after 13 years prob no longer in buisness anyway. :hihi:

House is 13 years old . H.S.B.C. gives a 10 year guarantee for major faults.

Think you would be very lucky to get a builder or Electric installer to give a guarantee after 13 years

Even so, it's unusual for wiring in a new house to go wonky within such a short time; it normally lasts at least 20-25yrs.

Even so, it's unusual for wiring in a new house to go wonky within such a short time; it normally lasts at least 20-25yrs.

No not really Electric switches and plugs only carry a 12 months makers guarantee / Made in China is the clue . :hihi: Prob one of the switches at a guess . I replaced a faulty bathroom pull switch been in 3 years ./ Cost £2 from wilkinsons says it all

Edited by spider1

I will check the documents.

One of the lights with problem is on the landing (sorry I should have explained properly) and it has three switches controlling it. Therefore I assume the problem cannot be the switches - because all those switches have the same problem (That I have to turn them on and off 4-5 times before the light comes on) They do come on eventually. Very strange...

One of the lights with problem is on the landing (sorry I should have explained properly) and it has three switches controlling it. Therefore I assume the problem cannot be the switches - because all those switches have the same problem (That I have to turn them on and off 4-5 times before the light comes on) They do come on eventually. Very strange...

Faulty light fitting or bad connection [ loose wire] at ceiling / Turn off power at fuse box . Unscrew round plastic fitting on ceiling have a look not a big job to put a new fitting up . Dont fall off the steps and downstairs its a long way down. Get some one to hold steps, :hihi::hihi::thumbsup:

I had a similar problem in my hallway but mine was blowing the RCD whenever I switched the switch off, it turned out to be a loose wire in the living room ceiling pendant...

Faulty light fitting or bad connection [ loose wire] at ceiling / Turn off power at fuse box . Unscrew round plastic fitting on ceiling have a look not a big job to put a new fitting up . Dont fall off the steps and downstairs its a long way down. Get some one to hold steps, :hihi::hihi::thumbsup:

I agree with that diagnosis. There is a small possibility that the Lightbulb is at fault. or if that has been changed recently, or before the fault appeared, that the wiring has been disturbed and lead to a connection problem. switching on and off in rapid succession would eventually allow the current to jump a small gap.

Jump a small gap ! Really ....lol

Might be a spider trapped in bulb :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Was it you !

Were the Spider goes nobody knows :suspect: