Dogs and horses

I have a very large lurcher type dog he is coming up to two years old.

He was a rescue dog who had never been out in the Countryside before we got him.

Over the twelve months he has had us he has become a different dog as he now realises that he has a good home , he is good on recall (most of the time):) He walks on the lead and does not pull at all ,in other words he is getting there.

When we first got him he decided that horses were his best pastime as far as having fun was concerned and proceeded to chase and be chased by them at every opportunity ,this resulted in him being confined to the lead when ever we were near on to any .

Early Spring and I decided to try him without lead again and for around three weeks he seemed to have got the message that horses are not to be chased or to be chased by.

We were all relaxed and happy that our hero had learnt his lesson.

Come today's walk past the same fields and guess what ,of he goes and for twenty minuets he chases and is chased by the nags.

The horses themselves seem to enjoy the rumble just as much as our dog and even come looking for him when we pass but that does not alter this fact that damage to both horses and dog could be the out come from this fun.

So I have failed in teaching him that this is not what he should be doing on walks and he is now back on lead when any where near the horses.

He knows when he has done wrong because he walks like a little angel on the way home after he has had a telling off but I now am at a wits end on how to stop him apart from keeping him on a lead all the time when near horses.

Any ideas any one ,and I know it is my responsibility so constructive comments would be appreciated.

The lesson to learn in my opinion is never let your dog off the lead near any livestock. Apart from the fact that horses panic easily and could run straight through fencing therefore injuring themselves and maybe getting out onto a busy road. Your dog could be kicked by the horses and killed. Whatever the type of livestock keep your dog on the lead. Sorry but this is the country code.

The lesson to learn in my opinion is never let your dog off the lead near any livestock. Apart from the fact that horses panic easily and could run straight through fencing therefore injuring themselves and maybe getting out onto a busy road. Your dog could be kicked by the horses and killed. Whatever the type of livestock keep your dog on the lead. Sorry but this is the country code.

The horses in question seem very keen to have a bit of banter with our dog they actually come running to us when we pass lead or not.

As to the Country code I know it very well our other dog can walk through fields containing any live stock without even looking at them and she is a working dog.

My question is ,has any one any ideas on our young dogs behaviour with horses as I have tried all the usual handling methods.

Surely it's just common sense to keep dogs on a lead near any live stock?

If you want to let him off the lead, go to places where there are no horses?!

Sounds like the sort of behaviour that gets dogs shot by farmers. Keep the pesky thing on a lead.

Sounds like the sort of behaviour that gets dogs shot by farmers. Keep the pesky thing on a lead.

Perhaps you have not read my opening post as to how the pesky thing is now BACK on the lead.

Thanks for your help.

I am reading the very unhelpful 'keep it on a lead' comments and can imagine your frustration. Clearly you are aware that this is the answer unless anyone can offer other potential solutions - which us the point of your post. You are quite lucky in one sense to have a horse scenario to test your success with where a failure is unlikely to be disastrous - although obviously will always incur some risk.

I would try putting him on a long line as you approach and use a command he knows to tell him to stay with you ( maybe 'leave') and reward him if he does. You can then stop him if he disobeys.

I'll fess up now and say that I resorted to an e-collar to dissuade my dog from chasing joggers and cyclists - just a mild vibrate to distract his attention, not a shock - and it worked for us. I know many people will be very anti this idea, probably yourself included, but I don't believe it caused him any distress and resolved a difficult issue very quickly. I'll sit back now and await the flak.

Yes, it's just not acceptable for dogs to worry farm animals, and horses, in particular, are easily spooked. He could be shot if a farmer sees him worrying his live-stock.

Try Jim Greenwood, he's a very well respected lurcher trainer and I'm sure he'd be able to help with stockbreaking advice: http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk

As others have said it is best practice to keep your dog on a lead around livestock, even if he is stockbroken. It is a legal requirement on some land (e.g. open access land) too so always check what rules apply to where you are walking (some areas actually require 'close control' which isn't necessarily on-lead).

I have a lurcher myself and personally would never risk it. She's now excellent around horses however what if I was walking her through a horse field and a rabbit ran out? She's definitely not going to ignore that :hihi:

She's 6 and we're still working on sheep :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the 'keep the dog on a lead' comments ARE helpful!

Not all of us like dogs. Not all of us humans are happy with dogs running around, let alone farm animals. Farmers do not like dogs running around untethered, even when livestock may not be in evidence. Keep them on leads, and keep the rest of us happy!

I am reading the very unhelpful 'keep it on a lead' comments and can imagine your frustration. Clearly you are aware that this is the answer unless anyone can offer other potential solutions - which us the point of your post. You are quite lucky in one sense to have a horse scenario to test your success with where a failure is unlikely to be disastrous - although obviously will always incur some risk.

I would try putting him on a long line as you approach and use a command he knows to tell him to stay with you ( maybe 'leave') and reward him if he does. You can then stop him if he disobeys.

I'll fess up now and say that I resorted to an e-collar to dissuade my dog from chasing joggers and cyclists - just a mild vibrate to distract his attention, not a shock - and it worked for us. I know many people will be very anti this idea, probably yourself included, but I don't believe it caused him any distress and resolved a difficult issue very quickly. I'll sit back now and await the flak.

Cheers ,I have had him on the long training lead and with the given no command it worked that is why I let him run free again,

As I stated on OP he then seemed to forget his good behaviour so it is back to the drawing board.

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 14:24 ----------

Try Jim Greenwood, he's a very well respected lurcher trainer and I'm sure he'd be able to help with stockbreaking advice: http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk

As others have said it is best practice to keep your dog on a lead around livestock, even if he is stockbroken. It is a legal requirement on some land (e.g. open access land) too so always check what rules apply to where you are walking (some areas actually require 'close control' which isn't necessarily on-lead).

I have a lurcher myself and personally would never risk it. She's now excellent around horses however what if I was walking her through a horse field and a rabbit ran out? She's definitely not going to ignore that :hihi:

She's 6 and we're still working on sheep :rolleyes:

My other lurcher is perfect with all live stock she will walk through sheep. horses cows .

as to rabbits ,hairs and cats then :help:

---------- Post added 26-05-2016 at 14:28 ----------

Not all of us like dogs. Not all of us humans are happy with dogs running around, let alone farm animals. Farmers do not like dogs running around untethered, even when livestock may not be in evidence. Keep them on leads, and keep the rest of us happy!

The horses were as sick as a parrot this morning when we passed running at our side and showing off like banshees.

Our YOUNG dog snuck into my left leg like super glue ,he knows, I know but!!!

So you don't like dogs but you're on the pet section posting on a thread about dogs....how odd!! Do you have nothing else to do??? The owner has stated that the dog in question is now back on a lead so I'm pretty sure she doesn't need you or anyone else stating the obvious. They are asking for help with the situation from someone who may have had a similar experience.

Also, you talking about yourself is certainly not 'the rest of us'.