Memories of living on rudyard road and treswell crescent and the hillsboro

would love to share memories withpeople who lived on rudyard rd and surrounding areas of hillsboro, 1935 onwards

Edited by Arnie Gray

I lived down Rudyard Road and my grandmother and aunt and uncle I know most of the old families that lived down there,everyone was related more or less.

I knew the Olivers from there.

I didnt know anyone called Oliver how long ago are you talking about?

I remember Randy's chip shop,Agnes's little shop just further down from Randy's further down was Baxters fruit shop.

On the other side were two corner shops,Masseys and Bockings, which changed hands quite a few time so were known my other names as well,but I am talking about the first shopkeepers I remember.

I didnt know anyone called Oliver how long ago are you talking about?

I remember Randy's chip shop,Agnes's little shop just further down from Randy's further down was Baxters fruit shop.

On the other side were two corner shops,Masseys and Bockings, which changed hands quite a few time so were known my other names as well,but I am talking about the first shopkeepers I remember.

Late 50s early 60s.They had 3 grown up children Elsie,Gladys and Bob.

My wife lived in Rider Road at number 9 her name was Anita Chapman moved in 1967.

I remember Anita Chapman but I think she was a few years younger than me one of my friends lived on Rider called Rita she will know who she is.

Was it Rita Webster, her mothers name was Agnus. They lived next door to Susan Hartley. What was your name, and whereabouts on Rudyard did you live?.

My name is Anne and I lived between the two corner shops I will not give my name on here but if she does not remember me I will send you a PM and tell you my name.

Yes it was Rita Webster,on Rider road some of the families I remember are Les Websters family,the Rodgers. Rita's family Who were all related.

The Dentons,I can't remember some of the names but I can see them, it will come to me gradually.

A copy of a post of mine from a previous thread:

I used to live above the corner shop on Rudyard Road and Treswell Crescent. It was a separate house and the door between the shop and the house was boarded up so we could only use the back door to get in or out. Our post used to be put through the shop door and they'd push it through the boarded up door. Problem was that on giro day they'd open late and a policeman once found me with a bent coat hanger trying to recover my giro off the shop's doormat. That took some explaining.

That was in the mid-seventies and our next door neighbour was called Ron. His son had a ferret and that's about all I remember.

Edit: In fact, there are several posts about Rudyard Road on this thread: Sheffield Corner shops

Edited by max

The Dentons were , Mary, her husband Tom, son keith and daughter Jean. Next door to me (Anita) were Mary and Wilf Street and their daughter Anne. Anne was a bridesmaid at our wedding. I remember all the other people you mentioned and the shops.