A query about council tenancy

hi there. my son is looking to move into a council flat in woodhouse. there is one thing that is puzzling us. on some flats there is a premium of £20 furnishing fee. can anyone tell me what he gets for this £20 payment?

hi there. my son is looking to move into a council flat in woodhouse. there is one thing that is puzzling us. on some flats there is a premium of £20 furnishing fee. can anyone tell me what he gets for this £20 payment?

That is a £20 gold package furnished package, with that he gets to pick various things to furnish his flat to a total of 20 points. It's his choices what he picks from carpets, curtains, cookers, microwaves etc.

Do the council actually furnish flats now?

Do the council actually furnish flats now?

There has always been furnished flats available from the council.

many thanks for replies. this has cleared things up for me.

There wasn't when we got a council property in 1972. We had to prove we were married and had the funds to buy a cooker and bed and the rest was up to us, there was only 2 electric sockets in the house.

We were grateful for the house and for the help we got from family and friends.

But I suppose things are different now young people expect everything provided for them and of course it has to be new and modern

Edited by cytine

There wasn't when we got a council property in 1972. We had to prove we were married and had the funds to buy a cooker and bed and the rest was up to us, there was only 2 electric sockets in the house.

But I suppose things are different now young people expect everything provided for them and of course it has to be new and modern

Oh here we go, an older person giving us the "kids today don't know they're born" cobblers! :roll:

In general the young of today have it crap compared to your day.

Oh here we go, an older person giving us the "kids today don't know they're born" cobblers! :roll:

In general the young of today have it crap compared to your day.

Alan.Thank you for your sneering comment but I was only stating how it was. We didn't have properties furnished for us by the council, we got ours gradually and went without until we could afford it.

You don't seem think older people should have an opinion, well tough. Our knowledge and experience may just help one day. Of course our experiences are different to the younger generation, that's how it should be. But to say the young have it "Crap compared to our day" is nonsense. Life was and is hard for all of us but we didn't have the same sense of entitlement as many young people have today.

Edited by mort
broken tags

mike, what do you mean by 'furnished' as in 'flats' or other council provided homes ?

It's often homeless applicants who take furnished properties as they will not have any furniture.

From what I know, furnished council accommodation isn't someone getting it for nothing. The extra cost lasts the length of the tenancy, not until they've 'paid it off'. If they are in the tenancy for years, there is a good chance that they will pay more than what the furniture is worth in the long run. It is meant to only be a temporary solution to an immediate problem for some people.

I agree with leviathan13 you pay the amount for all of your tenancy, the council will check it yearly. Also if you move on the furniture remains councils.