Sign in to follow this  

The Millennium bug

Guest makapaka

Remember this?

The forecasts were dire but not as bad as originally envisaged.

That said, one of the most notable "malfunctions" was incorrect Down syndrome pregnancy results being sent to a lot of sheffield women.

I never knew and terribly it resulted in two abortions.

I don't recall this being documented at the time - is anyone else aware of other issues?

Mostly the issues were fixed before due to a lot of work being done - I cleaned up sorting a lot of bank systems out. As far as I know the Sheffield abortions (and as well there were some that were not aborted and would have been chosen to and turned out to have Downs) were the most serious consequences of the bug.

Remember this?

The forecasts were dire but not as bad as originally envisaged.

That said, one of the most notable "malfunctions" was incorrect Down syndrome pregnancy results being sent to a lot of sheffield women.

I never knew and terribly it resulted in two abortions.

I don't recall this being documented at the time - is anyone else aware of other issues?

Are you suggesting the Y2k bug led "...incorrect Down syndrome pregnancy results being sent to a lot of sheffield women."?

Are you suggesting the Y2k bug "... resulted in two abortions." that were unnecessary?

If so you are wrong.

Risk assessment was based on age, blood tests, body weight, and the length of the pregnancy

The software at the NGH failed to calculate the correct age of the women and some were told they were in the low-risk group. When the error was discovered they were offered amniocentesis tests which are riskier at a later stage in pregnancy. Four Downs Syndrome cases were discovered. Two were aborted. There is no link between Y2k and the mothers choices. They may have made other decisions if they had known earlier. What was wrong was the late stage amniocentesis tests. Level of care, stress etc.