M1,M18 roadworks

Having been in Sheffield on Tuesday I took the parkway to the M1 and on exiting the roundabout found myself(and others) having to join a one lane system on motorway yet again, ok then till wanting to join M18, no exit, no signs lit up to warn anyone, someone then turned (where it looked like you turn ) and went through the gap in the cones then found out we were amongst the tarmac lorries and machines etc. We then had to rejoin M1 and go to junction 31 turn and come back , no illuminated signs for M18 or M1 north took 2hours to do a 20min journey, ok this work has to be done but it's been 2 years or more, when's it going to end?!. Did anyone else experience this?

Edited by pintor

Must have been at night I guess. And I don't believe for a minute that the diversion you describe added 500% onto your journey. Are you exaggerating a bit?

Not at all, left town 9.55 for normal 30-35 Mon drive home, got home 11.45, ok 10 minutes out!

I still don't believe going down one junction to turn back round and go up the M18 added that long. Its not even thst far between the junctions. Your "normal journey" has already gone up from 20 minutes to 30/35 minutes in the space of two posts as it is :D

Edited by Beligerence

Seeing as you're having difficulty understanding, total journey time 30-35 , 20 minutes from M18 junction!

I'm not having difficulty understanding at all. I just don't believe for one moment that at that time of night, having to drive a couple of miles (if that) further down the M1 to j31 to turn round to access the M18 turned a 20 minute journey into a near 2 hour one.

Sorry.

I live near junction 31 and regularly join going north and then on to m18.It is clearly signposted and takes approx 25 mins to center of doncaster in middle

of day,add another 20 mins from sheffield to jnc 31,thats 45 mins in total,don't understand 2 hour journey time.

Must have been at night I guess. And I don't believe for a minute that the diversion you describe added 500% onto your journey. Are you exaggerating a bit?

No exaggeration my other half has just come home from work at chesterfield half an hour late due to the road works being down to one lane and junctions shut with no warning,she is in a great mood.She says you want to shut up,you weren't there so how do you know?

No exaggeration my other half has just come home from work at chesterfield half an hour late due to the road works being down to one lane and junctions shut with no warning,she is in a great mood.She says you want to shut up,you weren't there so how do you know?

Half an hour late is rather different to the 500% extra journey time described in the opening post, isn't it? An hour and a half extra because they had to go one junction further down the M1 to turn round and come back? Nah, don't believe it for one minute.