Blocked ears - hardened wax - home cure

Every few years I have to go to the doctor to get both ears syringed iwith warm water.

The black wax comes out in droves! Can then hear again.

Have tried other home methods without any success.

At the moment I am around 50-70 percent deaf.

Do you use cotton buds on your ear wax?

It can be softened at home using oils, olive oil or Earex although you probably know that already??

I had heard of olive oil but not heard of the cotton buds!

Just put some quality olive oil in a cup and dipped the bud in half a dozen times.

Will repeat a few times a day for a few days and see how I go.

I find Sodium Bicarbonate ear drops more effective, but can make the ear itch a little.

Every few years I have to go to the doctor to get both ears syringed iwith warm water.

The black wax comes out in droves! Can then hear again.

Have tried other home methods without any success.

At the moment I am around 50-70 percent deaf.

A couple of years ago I made an appointment to have my ears syringed, but the appointment was 3 weeks ahead. I was told to use olive oil down my ears to soften the wax, which my missus poured down using a small funnel she'd got.

Two days later I could hardly hear anything, so got one of those soft drink bottles that need squeezing to drink from and pushed a drinking straw through the top. Put warm water in it and she flushed my ears out over the sink, result.

I had to see the doctor about something else the next week and asked him to have a look so that I could cancel the appointment with the nurse, he said they were completely clear.

Olive oil works well for me, you can get pipette bottles cheaply at the chemist. A nurse friend told me not to use cotton buds explaining that nothing smaller than an elbow should be inserted in the ear!

I had heard of olive oil but not heard of the cotton buds!

No the cotton buds are a big no no, they push the wax further down the ear and compact it creating a blockage.

So how am I supposed to put the olive oil in my ear without a cotton bud?

Focemal has just told you how to do it, or use a small funnel like I did.

Yes Mac33 what I do is lay on my side use the pipette and stay for about 5 mins then repeat for the other ear for another 5. Remember to have some tissues handy for when you move. Then either have a shower or bath making sure you don't get too much soap in your ears but plenty of water and keep repeating. If there is any hardened wax it should slowly soften it and work it's way out slowly.

There is a trend away from syringing the ears and instead removing waxy deposits using an otoscope and what is effectively a very small vacuum cleaner as a much safer way of removing the wax without running the risk of perforating the ear drum.

However, if you can soften the wax with olive oil (an ear plug of cotton wool will keep the oil in when you first squidge it down there- the longer you can keep it down in the ear the better) over the course of a couple of weeks, the easier it will be to remove in whatever manner it is being removed, and it may even find its own way out of your ear when you go swimming or when you dry your ears after bathing.