Last surviving dambuster not given a knighthood

The Government has just given out new year honours to deserving people and I am not saying they do not deserve them, but one person had his name put forward for a knighthood but was overlooked by government was 95 year old George Johnny the last surviving hero from the Dambusters.

After reading his story and the fear he endured during the raid on Nazi Germany to blow up the dams, I cannot believe he was not given a knighthood years ago. This knighthood would not be for just him, it would be for all those brave men who did not come back that night.

At the age of 95 can this brave man wait another year to have his name nominated again. Government should be ashamed if they do not make an exception and add his name to the honours list this year.

At the age of 95 do you think he is bothered?

He is bothered apelike,not for himself but for men who fought with him.He is a very charitable man who has homed many ex service people in Johnny Johnsons foundation,a very worthwhile cause,some exist here in Sheffield with a community of retired people who have served in the forces.I would knight him now,no problem he really deserves it.

Guest makapaka

I'm sure he's not been ignored maliciously.

Make further representations on his behalf and see if you and others can get him the recognition.

The Government has just given out new year honours to deserving people and I am not saying they do not deserve them, but one person had his name put forward for a knighthood but was overlooked by government was 95 year old George Johnny the last surviving hero from the Dambusters.

After reading his story and the fear he endured during the raid on Nazi Germany to blow up the dams, I cannot believe he was not given a knighthood years ago. This knighthood would not be for just him, it would be for all those brave men who did not come back that night.

At the age of 95 can this brave man wait another year to have his name nominated again. Government should be ashamed if they do not make an exception and add his name to the honours list this year.

The government does not decide who gets what in terms of honours. So why should they be ashamed?

I'm sure he's not been ignored maliciously.

Make further representations on his behalf and see if you and others can get him the recognition.

I have been told that Carole Voderman is leading a campaigne to get this brave RAF man the recognition he deserves.

Also not sure if this is true but Teresa May is blaming David Cameron, as she was not the PM at the time when these honours were given.

Here's hoping Voderman wins her campaigne.

I have been told that Carole Voderman is leading a campaigne to get this brave RAF man the recognition he deserves.

Also not sure if this is true but Teresa May is blaming David Cameron, as she was not the PM at the time when these honours were given.

Here's hoping Voderman wins her campaigne.

At the moment 157,938 people have supported the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/give-britain-s-last-surviving-dambuster-hero-a-knighthood?recruiter=26518304&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Edited by iansheff

The government does not decide who gets what in terms of honours. So why should they be ashamed?

who does decide then?? if not the government then who ever it is should have honoured him and the ones gone before him over all the celeb honours!

Thank you for that. I have just signed the petition.

Hope more people on the forum will also sign it. Let's get justice for Johnny.

Edited by hauxwell

Governments in the UK have a long track record of "running down" the efforts of bombers and their crews as if they are embarrassed by the "ungentlemanly" was that bombing is of fighting a war. Look how long it took them to finally create a memorial to Bomber Command. So its not particularly surprising that they are refusing to recognise the efforts of a bomber pilot and his genre with a long deserved award

A real Hero..... so deserving of a Knighthood.

I have just signed the petition. :thumbsup:

Is he the only one of the crew not to get one? Or would he be the only one to get one?

Perhaps they don't want to upset relatives of all the others?