1960's Sheffield rock pubs

In the 60's where did the local rockers/hippies go in town? No rock clubs as such, and no Wapentake. Which were the "heavier" pubs in Sheffield City Centre, if any.....I know the Wapentake did not come along until the mid 70's as far as I know....and no rock club until 1982 of course..

By "rockers" I suppose I mean in the early 60's, the leather jacket and greased back hair mob, but all that would have changed around 65/66 onwards with the growth of "hippie music" and Jimi hendrix and all the underground progressive "heavier" music...so a "rocker" in the late 60's would presumably have been a totally different concept to one from 1960 to 1964....

And did SHeffield have a "hippie" scene like London in the late 60's?

Rockers used to go to the Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe and Centre Spot at Basegreen.

There was a rickety old pub at the bottom of The Moor (can't remember it's name) It was demolished and is now the site of a Thortons and that Weider(?) fitness, weight training store amongst others but that was rockers' pub

Would that have been when the Moor went straight through to Ecclesall road roundabout? There must have been so many buildings knocked down in that area in the 70's. Anyone know this pub at the bottom of the Moor and what it was called?

What, if anything was the nightclub provision for rockers in the late 60's. I know PENTHOUSE hosted progressive rock bands but that was 1969 onwards.....must have been some "rock nights" run by the existing Sheffield clubs prior to that as in the late 60's the heavy music thing was a bit culture change

On the bottom of the Moor was the Landsdown,is that what you are thinking of?There was also the Traveller's Rest at the bottom where Shirley used to work behind the bar but that got demolished about 1967.There wasn't really a rockers bar in the centre of town then,though there was a good scene downstairs at the Nelson.

The Moor was hit quite badly with bombs int' War.

Yep, it formed a junction with Eccy road in the 60's. On the opposite side of the road from this rockers pub was a row of prefabricated shops including Theatrical Supplies which sold practical jokes, wigs, masks etc. There's toilets and new shops on that site now.

It's bugging me that I can't remember the name of that pub.

For Rock music you had to pick your choice of gigs at the Top Rank, Bailey's and yep even the Fiesta. The students union had The Who quite frequently in their "Tommy" era and a number of other big name bands quite frequently.

The Travellers! That's it! In it's last year or two it was frequented by rockers although I have to admit I never noticed any music (even from a juke box) It was a bit dingy and grotty but hey that's character when you look at the bars around town now.

Oh I wish I could go back in time.......I wonder what people in 1967 would make of me......

and what would I make of them!

Someone mentioned the Students' Union. While it obviously wasn't a pub, it had some of the best rock acts imaginable during the late 60s/early 70s.

Just off the top of my head here are some of the bands I saw there:

Led Zeppelin (billed as the New Yardbirds - before their first LP came out)

Family

Freddie King (backed by Killing Floor)

Incredible String Band

Bert Jansch/John Renbourn

Aynsley Dunbar's Retaliation

King Crimson

Around the same time there was a ballroom in the centre of Chesterfield that used to hold all-nighters with bands. I can't recall the name of the venue, but I saw the following there (among many others):

Jethro Tull

Taste (Rory Gallagher)

Keef Hartley Band

Chicken Shack

In 1967 the pub at the bottom of the moor was the Hermitage. They had jukebox with video screen. It was always the last call having worked our way down town, zig zagging as we went, and then after that back up to the Penny Farthing. Incidentally mojoworking, Chickenshack are still gigging. Went to see them within the last 12 months at the Robin R & B club nr Dudley. Unfortunately it has closed down now

I'm suprised no-one remembers the Fleur Delyse pub (I think thats how you spell it) at Dore and Totley, who had Joe Cocker and the Grease Band as their resident Thursday night group. I'm sure the people who lived around there would have been really peed off with the amount of cars parked on every conceiveable space, as for the pub it was navel to navel, once you got in it was very hard to get out, Joe Cocker certainly had the pulling power in those early days.

Tony Land - [email protected]

I went around the pubs in town from '71 with my big brother, and none of you have mentioned the Bucanneer - now that was a place and a half !

Originally posted by hollypmi

I went around the pubs in town from '71 with my big brother, and none of you have mentioned the Bucanneer - now that was a place and a half !

It has been mentioned quite a few times in the past. Go here and remember the good old days.

buccaneer