Sign in to follow this  

The Matrix Reloaded

OMFG... what a great film! Why is part 3 so far away... aaaarrrrggghhhh!

I am SO going to get it on DVD when it's out to buy..... in the states!

The Matrix Reloaded DVD in the states could be October?...But you can buy The Animatrix before then. Its a collection of nine short films all about the matrix world :wink:

I thought it was shocking. Plain and simple.

Shocking in a good way or shocking in a bad way?

I shall be giving it a miss.

The Matrix was enjoyable enough, but the ill conceived cod-cyberpunk annoyed hell out of me.

I also think Keanu Reeves should get more parts playing robots, like arnie.

Now the original Solaris, based on the Lem novel, there's a masterpiece. Or Dark Star, but with the notable exception of Starship Troopers, I can't think of a single good Science Fiction film released in the last 10 years.

Memory must be failing.

Saw it last night - although the new twists to the story are interesting, if a little confusing, and some of the confrontations lapse into sometimes over-indulgent martial arts fests, I'd say it's worth seeing for the eye-candy alone.

Some of it is beautifully filmed - I really liked the slow motion "rave" section, and the many impressive cityscapes and backgrounds....but it's the special effects that do it - the "burly brawl" fight scene where Neo takes on hundreds of clones of Agent Smith is incredible and the car chase is an effects masterpiece which had my jaw dropping a couple of times.

Keanu is again a bit wooden, but luckily, as in the first film he doesn't have to say too much.

Originally posted by "Phanerothyme"

I shall be giving it a miss.

The Matrix was enjoyable enough, but the ill conceived cod-cyberpunk annoyed hell out of me.

I also think Keanu Reeves should get more parts playing robots, like arnie.

Now the original Solaris, based on the Lem novel, there's a masterpiece. Or Dark Star, but with the notable exception of Starship Troopers, I can't think of a single good Science Fiction film released in the last 10 years.

Memory must be failing.

What about Event Horizon?

Star Trek: First Contact

Is that the one with Sam Neill and the mad black rotating evil drive that came back from another dimension all haunted and more evil?

I liked that one, but I guess its more a case of me having a very narrow definition of 'sci-fi'.

Many, if not most, so called sci fi films are actually action films with 'space' effects thrown in for a futuristic setting (eye candy).

But the matrix is at least based on the 'where is baseline reality?' conundrum that has been the staple of Sci Fi writers for years. But it's mainly an action movie. Obviously I can't speak about Matrix 2.

For a funnier, scarier version of the matrix (almost) Stan Lem's book 'The Futurogical Congress - worth a read.

The hero is attending a population control conference in Brazil as the world population balloons. The hotel is the target of a terrorist attack, using chemicals and drugs that affect the perception.

Soon the hero is slipping up and down through layers of horrifying reality, revealing a Chemocratic government that rules by application of chemicals. Fooling people into thinking they are eating steak, when in fact it is cardboard etc.

As far as Action Sci Fi goes, I must recommend Starship Troopers (dir. Verhooeven - Robocop) as being a true to the book yet heavily tongue in cheek adaptation of Heinlein's Teen SciFi novel of the same name.

If you haven't seen it, try it on Vid, you're in for a treat.

Originally posted by "Sidla"

Shocking in a good way or shocking in a bad way?

Shocking in that I thought it was crap. Compared to the first one anyway.

What is the Matrix.

After viewing it 3 times now I have come up with what I believe is the matrix.

The matrix still exists. everyone is still connected to the matrix. zion is part of the matrix. the architect talks about the oracle saying that humans need choice so they dont reject the matrix. a select few reject the matrix, so it created a "game" to keep them happy. that game makes them believe that they are not in the matrix, and fighting against it. thus, neo morpheus et al are still in the matrix. I think Neo realises this when he stops the sentinels at the end. Zion is not the real world (where he would not have powers) it is the matrix (so his powers exist. he just needed to believe)

I also think that Morpheus was "The One" is the previous generation of the matrix. Except he chose to save mankind and restart with 16 women/7men etc. I think Neo realises that he can do both, so he saves the girl.

its message is also clear: everything has a purpose. a purpose inside the matrix to keep the computers happy. thus, the oracle is a human (ie connected to the matrix, i think) that can read the matrix code, but is allowed to carry on because it is part of the game. every generation of the matrix she gives hope to zion in the early days that The One is coming.

Its all a game to keep the human drones connected to the matrix happy.

The Architect says: "Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden to sedulously avoid it, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here." To explain in English, he is saying that Neo is an anomaly in the matrix, but which can be controlled by the matrix.

Humans need choice, even though that choice has already been made. The oracle mentions this a lot. They need to believe they have a choice, even though they do not.

As for agent smith, im not sure. i think he is a virus. His clone entering Zion is further proof that Zion is part of the matrix.

As for the architect, he is just the matrix personified as a human. His job is to explain the above to The One, who usually goes on to save mankind. neo chose to do both and save trinity as well.

The bit that troubles me is:

The Architect - ...Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash killing everyone connected to the matrix, which coupled with the extermination of Zion will ultimately result in the extinction of the entire human race.

Neo - You won't let it happen, you can't. You need human beings to survive.

The Architect - There are levels of survival we are prepared to accept.

If "they" have gone to all the trouble of creating the Matrix, would they allow it to be undone so easily?

Some other interesting stuff on the Matrix official site's philosophy section