Firth Vickers stainless steel, Staybrite works, Weedon Street Tinsley

Yes keeping myself fit not long till retirement hope your'e well

Can't say I'm fit but ok left engineering in the 80s and went to university- worked in local govt. retired in 2013 and work for myself now teaching/lecturing in employment law - live in Wath upon Dearne now.

You take care Dave - really good to hear from you

Pete Steadman

Yes Pete thanks did you and Diane get married I wed Diana and we had 2 girls had some nice boozy nights back then.

Yes Pete thanks did you and Diane get married I wed Diana and we had 2 girls had some nice boozy nights back then.

Yes we did get married and had a boy and girl. Still having the odd boozy night Dave - just takes a bit longer to get over them.

Nice to hear that Pete I moved on to BSC Brinsworth Mill til 86 and since then Ive been engineer in food industry up to now, working in Bagel Factory at Swinton now .

Cheers

my father was the engine driver at weeden st and sheepcote lane from the 50's until they retired the engine and him in the e70's. His name was Jimmy O'Connor.

Just found this site and don’t know if anyone still looks at it but thought I’d have a go.

Does anyone remember Ken Palay , he was a melter and died in 1980 whilst still in service.

my dad was tom wright who worked on weedon st for many years i used to love the stories he told me i always wanted to work in the industry but it collapsed just as i was leaving school

On 06/02/2014 at 17:06, Pudfred said:

Atlas & Norfolk certainly belonged to Firth Browns but Firth Vickers also used the same facilities as them at Roe Lane in the time my father played his sports. I we'll remember the many happy hours I spent from being just a toddler in the early 40s to my teenage years up to the late 50s watching him play at Roe Lane & taking part in the annual sports day held there every Summer for children of workers from both firms. Perhaps in later years there was a ground just for Vickers on Bawtry Road. Regards

I have just found this site and find it very interesting. My Dad, Bill (William Herbert) Pridmore was an apprentice at Firth Vickers in the 30s and played for Firth Vickers Foundry Team. I will post a pic of the team when I have access through my home computer. Dad also played for Sheffield United in the mid 40s. I have his agreement with them and will be happy to also post this if it is of interest. I believe my Granddad Jack (John) Pridmore from Coisley Hill, Woodhouse was also employed at Firths. Not sure if it was Firth Brown or Vickers.  Regards. Johnp45

• Like 1

My dad worked there as a furnace man for 43 years along with his brother and brother in law they were also involved in the union as  Shop stewards I believe 

• Like 1

Hello, 

I have just discovered this site. My name is Gary Ward and I  started as an apprentice Fitter at Firth Vickers , Weedon Street  in 1972 and emigrated to  Australia in 1992.  Hello Pete  Steadman , I remember you very well and worked with you on many jobs.   I  also was mentored by Georgie Cottam , a great teacher and all round  great bloke.   I also remember Don Cargill, Pete Forrest , Trevor Mather , Jimmy Stringer, Ron Stanley , Dave and Paul Bugdall  and many others.  My best mate at Firth Vickers was also a Fitter named Ian Brown. I am sure someone else will remember me . Let me know please?

I still see George Cottam, although not for a while, he lives across  the field from me.

Hello Kidorry . When you see him , say hello and best wishes  from me please . Also you mention Les Rodgers , who I also knew and his son Neil  and  also Brian Baines. Looks like you were there the same time as me , so you should remember me and Ian Browne and Ron Stanley  from Maintenance. 

Edited by Gary R Ward
Extra questions