Anyone remember 'Balm'?

I recently started making bread but it does not smell,taste or have the texture of the bread I remember my grandmother making

I seem to remember the yeast was called 'Balm'.It had the texture of firm

What's the difference between Balm and the dried yeast of today?

Going back in time to when my mother had a corner shop. Balm is yeast, it came in a packet that weighed around 1,Lb., and would be cut-up - people would buy an ounce or so as needed. It was solid and soft. a bit like malt loaf ? Can't remember the name on the packet, but I'm sure I will when I've posted this !

I always thought it was spelt "barm". It was available at my local Morrisons until fairly recently. Barm is just another name for bread-making yeast. The dried variety is, just as it says, dehydrated yeast. As far as I remember, dehydrated yeast needs to be reconstituted by dissolving in a warm sugar solution & does not perform as well as yeast in its natural state. By the way, aren't breadcakes referred to as barm cakes in Lancashire?

Guest makapaka
I always thought it was spelt "barm". It was available at my local Morrisons until fairly recently. Barm is just another name for bread-making yeast. The dried variety is, just as it says, dehydrated yeast. As far as I remember, dehydrated yeast needs to be reconstituted by dissolving in a warm sugar solution & does not perform as well as yeast in its natural state. By the way, aren't breadcakes referred to as barm cakes in Lancashire?

Yes - my dad's family were from Liverpool and I was always confused when asked if I wanted cheese or ham on me barm cake!

I recently started making bread but it does not smell,taste or have the texture of the bread I remember my grandmother making

I seem to remember the yeast was called 'Balm'.It had the texture of firm

What's the difference between Balm and the dried yeast of today?

Believe me Dex, any bread will ever taste like, or will ever smell like, or have the texture of the bread your grandma made. I've had this trouble for years. Another one is Lemon Curd. My grandma' made a lemon curd pie like you wouldn't believe. Never found out the secret don't think I ever will.

Edited by Texas

Ate it as a kid whilst mum made bread Sunday. Recollect it in terracotta dishes at the grocers, greaseproof paper on top, cut to weight when required. Tasted ok but then again ration era kids were always open for a snack.

Fresh yeast is still available to buy at Morrisons. It's sold as 4 cubes each wrapped with foil on a tray wrapped in cling film and you'll find it in the fridge near the ready made pastry.

If you ask at the bakery department at either ASDA or Sainsburys they will usually give you some for free.

A recommendation for making bread, is to use "Carrs" breadmaker flour. Sainsburys stock it.

In the 40's at Hatfield House Lane shops a man used to deliver balm to the local bakers.

Nothing unusual about that except that for his transport he had a motor bike & sidecar, the bike had an underslung fuel tank & hand gear change . Even in those days the bike was really old.