Blocked ears - hardened wax - home cure

The stinging sensation is due to the ingredient hydrogen peroxide (5%). While Otex dissolves wax it can cause irritation of the ear canal. I have known it to cause bleeding of the lining of the canal. Also, even if the wax is dissolved, the ear might still need to be syringed to remove it, especially if the canal is a small, narrow one. Gentle drops such as olive oil are best for softening wax. Never use cotton buds and visit your practice nurse for syringing once the wax is soft enough.

Had same problem. Bought some Audiclean last week. Works a treat.

I have had ear problems on and off since I was a baby and have had intermittent tinnitus since I was about 3 or 4. I tried Otex some years ago as I thought I had an earwax problem at the time. It was awful a stinging sensation in the ear. I read the ingredients to see what might be causing it URIC ACID.

I will never be tempted to use it again.

I found Otex OK. The first time I used it (on very blocked ears), there was a loud cracking noise as it attacked the wax. Well, not very loud in the whole scheme of things, but as it was inside my ear it seemed loud. I've also successfully used Earex.

I haven't compared the ingredients of the two, but the Otex felt more aggressive than the much gentler (more like olive oil) Earex.

As a kid (50+ years ago), olive oil was the method used by my mum. At a time when you bought olive oil from a chemists, and not from the grocers.

Once the current Otex runs out, I'll probably try olive oil again, using an old earex or otex dispenser, not cotton buds. Either that or sodium bicarbonate, which I've never tried before.

I've never needed to go to the doctor to get my ears cleaned.