Some ones life in a skip .

These items are material things nothing more I'm sure the person had their ups and downs in life as long they had an full filled life which is more important than anything left behind.

If we disposed of everything upon a persons death, we would have no history.

We all need memories of the past, and people gone.

Without them life would be very hollow indeed.

Grab the pix, scan them and put them on one of the family history sites. There are always people crying because another relative just throw all their family pix away. You might be able to reunite them. Do a good deed.

A bonus with scanning very old photos, that have faded badly, is that you can sometimes enhance them, and bring features back which have almost disappeared. I did this with one of my grandfather, taken about 1915. It is still not good, but you can make out far more than on the original.

Yes I have restored a couple and improved the quality of colour on some some need sharpening up. Int Modern Life Wunderful.

---------- Post added 24-01-2017 at 23:48 ----------

Thats sad.......

On a slightly different note, when my dad passed away several years ago, my mum had to get rid of his clothes, she sadly bagged it all up to take to a charity shop in the hope that some of it may help someone else, at the last minute she decided to check the pockets just to make sure there were no valuables or anything of sentimental value in them, she found £700 in one of his pockets...it was his gambling stash, he liked his horses did my dad lol

That reminds me of working in Oxfam we often had whole wardrobes donated on one particular day there was fifty pounds in a jacket pocket and no way of getting it back to the donor so it went in as an anonymous donation. When we had a staff meeting shortly after I made sure to ask staff to ask donors of clothing if they had checked pockets and if they would like to leave an address in case we found anything of value that they might not be aware of.

We bought an old dresser for one of our children. While I was cleaning it up, I found a bunch of old letters and cards from a young man to his wife, telling her how much he loved her and begging her not to leave/divorce him. Today, he'd probably send an email or text her.

I've bought old books at yard sales and seen boxes of family photos and albums that no one wanted. Sad. I treasure the old family photos I'm lucky enough to have.

To the OP: why not rescue these items then before they get rained on? Books particularly. Or tell us where the skip is so somebody else can.

Grab the pix, scan them and put them on one of the family history sites. There are always people crying because another relative just throw all their family pix away. You might be able to reunite them. Do a good deed.

That's what I was thinking, if the OP has time.

There are many a situation where the relative in charge of the estate couldn't care a jot, just eager to sell a house and get their hands on the loot. Whilst genuine, caring relatives who have attended to their relative for years up to his/her death, do not get a look in, not even a cherished photo.

I'm interested in the photos and frames...we're doing a project 'Days Gone By' so these would be really useful and would save them from landfill.

Where is the skip?

I want to get all the photos scanned and onto my computer so that they can then go onto memory sticks to be enjoyed without the albums being kept.

Do not forget to give the faces names.

I have been given photos that may be relatives but no names on the back.

Also Memory sticks, in my experience,

are no good for long time storage.

Edit:

I bought a WW1 letter from a junk stall, written by a soldier to his wife describing his 9 mile walk to barracks from home.

I have done some research on him and his descendants but have no idea which of them may have kept it for 60+ years and for it to have ended up on a stall.

Edited by davyboy

To the OP: why not rescue these items then before they get rained on? Books particularly. Or tell us where the skip is so somebody else can.

Hallwood Road

---------- Post added 25-01-2017 at 14:19 ----------

Just looked it has now gone .

Thanks for the tip on the memory stick. My plan is to give the sticks and an electronic photo frame for them to play on. and to tell the offspring to copy them to their computer too.