Metal sheds are they any good?

I am wanting a shed approx 8 foot by 10 foot. I need a degree of security and have seen metal sheds available.

My concerns are noise cold and condensation. Has anyone had experiences with a metal shed.

I am wanting a shed approx 8 foot by 10 foot. I need a degree of security and have seen metal sheds available.

My concerns are noise cold and condensation. Has anyone had experiences with a metal shed.

I have an 8ft x 6ft metal one from Argos.

After having a wooden one originally, I think the metal versions are way better. They don't rot, matainance free and a bit more secure I reckon.

As long as you have 2/3 people to assemble it, then you'll be fine, I did mine alone and it was a bit tricky!

After you screw it to the base, another tip is to clear silicon around the floor inside so that it keeps the floor completely dry.

Oh, and my neighbour liked the look of mine so much, and bought a smaller version recently!

I have heard they get very sweaty inside, as for noise I imagine it would be noisey when its raining.

I have also heard they twist when it gets windy, this put me offbuying one and kept with wood.

I erected one for a friend, it was broken into a couple of weeks later, the panel farthest from his house was peeled back if i remember correctly, the panels were so thin that i'm sure you could stick a knife in and cut it quite easily..

I don't know if all makes are the same or if some are skinned with thicker metal (they would benifit from it)

John:)

EDIT- forgot to say, if you buy one make sure it's not windy when you erect it!!, it was windy when i did- it was a nightmare :)

They are certain to get hot during the summer and very cold in winter unless you put plywood or insulation on the interior.

2440 x 1220 x 5.5mm sheets are about a tenner

My neighbour has a wood effect metallic shed which looks great. I think he got it from Argos. And yes it needed two people to put it up.

In the end I bought a 10 by 8 metal shed from Argos for £248 including delivery. It was a pain in the bum to put up but once finished is very rigid. I will put some sheeting inside next year when I get round to it. It is a bit noisy inside when it rains but I am happy with the result as a decent spec wooden shed would have been 3 times the price.

The big problem with metal sheds is condensation, if you can get metal sheds prebuilt with polyurethane that will go a long way to prevent condensation

I have a 10 x 8 metal shed from Argos, had it for 6 months now, yes it has thin walls, however Ive lined it with chip board panelling, fitted a few simple vents. I have no condensation and its as secure as it can be. Anyone going to want to get in, will. It does me though for bike and tool storage no problems. They are cheap enough and if you spend a few quid adding to them then I'd recommend one.

I can't comment on how good or bad they are but If you want it for your allotment, I'd think twice. We took a plot over a couple of months ago and after speaking to other people on the site, apparently metal stuff, especially sheds, are the first things to get pinched.

Eighup SHYTOT ..I had an 8 x 10 .( got in 1992 ) it was great , very secure , i put it on a flag floor and it had 'Coach Bolts ' in the corners , so you could Drill through the Brackets and secure it to the floor ( stops it moving in Strong Winds , also stops Thieves from lifting it up and getting inside ) ..I took it down 18 months ago as i had a Garage Put up ..I took the Metal one down and took it to my Sister - in Laws .It's still there and looks as good as it did almost 19 years ago ...:thumbsup: