Should chatrooms be closed down?

Should all chatrooms be closed down?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should all chatrooms be closed down?

• Yes
    • No

yes shut them all down, ban chat forums too - then i will stop procrastinating and get on with my project, decorating and the dreaded 'R' word... revision.

No not ALL chatrooms. What about the SF Chatroom.

I do agree that chatrooms need to be regukated and policed in the proper manner.

I like the subscription idea personally!

Maybe forum's will now be the new chat rooms since MSN is closing it's UK chat.

Will Yahoo follow suit?

I think regulations need to be in place and am in full support of MSN for taking action.

But closing them all is drastic, just have more security measues in place.

I'm not sure on what basis anyone could actually justify banning chatrooms. Besides, if you close legit ones down then illegit ones will spring up in their place - far more dangerous I'd have though.

More regulating, policing and educating kids about the risks would be more effective. Harsher sentences for "groomers" too.

Haven't used the MSN chat rooms myself but Fuzzy Purple tells me that she gets approached by 'pervs' pretty much everytime she goes on one.

I think shutting down the chat rooms is a bit of a knee jerk reaction which won't solve the problem - it will just move elsewhere. Like DB says - what about yahoo etc.

Subscription/registration would be a possible idea. You could work it that the service was still 'free' as it is now BUT that in order to register you have to enter the details of a valid (i.e. traceable) credit card. I think knowing that they could be traced in real life would make the 'pervs' think twice about their chat room activities.

Nomme

Agreed Zamo, although I reckon shutting down the UK sites and having everyone concentrated into one area will make it easier to police.

With the subscription status too, it will help to:

A) Deter the groomers

B) Make the groomers easier to catch

I agree that illegal chatrooms springing up will cause a problem, and children need to be better educated on the dangers. But how many listen?

Parents need teaching the dangers and ways to avoid their children becoming victims of these sick individuals.

Internet children locks need to be adopted by parents, as well as internet usage supervision.

Harsher punishments for groomers would be welcomed in my book.

I use MSN for 1-1 use only for work and friends that I know.

Shutting down MSN chat rooms will have little effect because there are many more out there to fill the gap.

Did peer to peer die when napster shut down?

Software can be easily written to close down specific chat session when the nature of the conversation is inappropriate.

Originally posted by Carlwarker

Don't parents have ANY responsibilities these days?

It's because the majority of parents don't take their responsibilities seriously that they are withdrawing chatrooms, imo.

One of the pitfalls of removing the chatrooms is that it's difficult to hide a pc from a parent if they take an interest in what their child is doing. Kids being kids, and paedophiles being paedophiles, they will find alternative methods of contact using mobile phones which are less open to scrutiny.

I agree that chatrooms should be shut down until such time as security is tightened.

"Surfing" the radio just now, came across a discussion about the MSN closure on Radio 2, so if you're reading this you might want to tune in - interesting phone-in.

Originally posted by Geoff

"Surfing" the radio just now, came across a discussion about the MSN closure on Radio 2, so if you're reading this you might want to tune in - interesting phone-in.

'"Surfing" the radio' - Admit it man you're a TOG. No need to be ashamed.

Nomme

Originally posted by Carlwarker

Several newspapers have a headline about Microsoft closing down it's chatrooms to protect children:

http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news/story.jsp?story=446426

The 'Mirror' even has a poll - in which almost 58% say yes (11.34 am)

What do Forum readers think?

perverts use chatrooms but they are everywhere else as well so what is the point?