Sign in to follow this  

UK to Ban Spam

Originally posted by DaBouncer

This Just In.

About f****** time too i say!

I lived on spam for years!!!

good! spam wasnt a problem til MSN decided to be tight and put rate limits on how much email you get. About once a week i have to delete it to avoid it getting full enough for them to not let anything through. God theyre so bloody tight havent they got enough money without having to charge people for more email space. That bloody Bill Gates must be so greedy I bet hes not bloody supporting any moves to ban spam i bet he loves it sat there on his stupid sad computer generated house with his robotic family (or at least thats how i imagine him) He may be rich but at least im not a sad money obsessed freak and id rather not be than be rich.... OK im lying but he does bloody annoy me.

I can't see how they going to enforce this as most of the spam comes from the US and Asia as the article says.

Originally posted by upholder

I can't see how they going to enforce this as most of the spam comes from the US and Asia as the article says.

...and is usually sent via unsecured mail servers (open relays) that have no connection with the spam being sent out

Why is it going to be illegal for companies to send junk emails and texts, yet perfectly fine for them to cover the doormat with junk mail every morning? Surely the physical junk mail is more of an inconvenience, and also can cause problems by signalling whether you're on holiday for example.

If we did ban postal junk mail, maybe the postal workers won't be bleating on for a pay rise.

Originally posted by alchresearch

If we did ban postal junk mail, maybe the postal workers won't be bleating on for a pay rise.

That's a bit of a non sequiter so would you mind explaining the connection, please?

Originally posted by max

That's a bit of a non sequiter so would you mind explaining the connection, please?

He means that at least half the contents of the postie's sack every day consists of junk mail which goes through a cycle of going through folks's letter box, and then straight in t'bin.

If snail mail based spamming was declared illegal, the postie wouldn't have as much mail to deliver, and would consequently not need to harp on about how he doesn't get paid enough to hump big bags of mail around all day...

All day?! Meh, my little cousin used to be a postman and he was always home and in bed by dinner time cos he'd been at work since 5 AM.

Um, you don't think that Royal Mail management wouldn't notice? They'd just keep reducing the number of postmen but those remaining would still have the same amount to deliver. Having done the job for 8 years I can assure anyone that the job is not pleasant. I appreciate that alchresearch was probably being flippant and I'm sure he'd love to go out in all weather for the pittance that postmen get.

Seriously though, WHY ban email and text junk mail, which is easily disposed of by pressing 'delete', whilst not banning 'snail mail' spam, which is more difficult to dispose of, wastes paper, and helps give signals to burglars about whether you're away or not (post building up on the doormat)?

Any junk mail I receive I ensure that any pre-paid enveloped get sealed and sent back empty.