Sign in to follow this  

Guinness records snub for Blaine

Illusionist David Blaine has been snubbed by Guinness Book of Records for his forthcoming feat of being suspended in a clear plastic box over London's River Thames for 44 days. Guinness World Records chiefs told the UK's Press Association they had been contacted by the U.S. magician asking for his feats to be recognized. But compilers of the book say they would not actively endorse fasting records -- and the size of his temporary plexi-glass home is not even as small as current record holders. (CNN)

Anyone see that "stunt" where he cut off part of his ear? I'm assuming (from the lack of follow-up stories) that the journalists are too embarrassed to admit they were tricked in to reporting it?

What does anyone else think of Mr Blaine?

(PS. I rearranged CNN's paragraphs so they flow better :P)

I've got the book 'David Blaine: Mysterious Stranger' and it's very good.

I like David Blaine and feel that although his methods of illusion and human achievement aren't always authodox, they are very good and entertaining.

One of my fav's being the pulling the head off a chicken and reattatching it afterwards its great.

Good luck to him. Since he's gonna be in country for a few weeks, i may take a trip down to london to see his latest test of human strength.

Good Luck David!

And yes I think he should go in the Guinness Book of Records!

Originally posted by DaBouncer

And yes I think he should go in the Guinness Book of Records!

what for though? hes not actually broken any records :lol: i wouldnt mind being in the records book, but as ive not broken any record i wont be allowed in ;)

What about the time he spent on top of that tower in Downtown NYC?

What about being buried alive in a block of ice?

Are these not worthy?

And this feat he is attempting 44 days and nights with no food, company or anything.... just water!

The Guiness Book of Records wont endorse it because of the risk aspect. What about all the stuntment that are in the record books for movie stunt. anyone of those could have been killed. Yet they appear in the book.

he was good when he did tricks like throwing cards at windows and making the chosen card be on the other side of the glass but now he's nothing more than a stuntman.

There is no illusion or magic in fasting for six weeks. Even Penn and Teller were better than that.

Originally posted by alchresearch

he was good when he did tricks like throwing cards at windows and making the chosen card be on the other side of the glass but now he's nothing more than a stuntman.

There is no illusion or magic in fasting for six weeks. Even Penn and Teller were better than that.

And that's the simple trick of buying 2 decks of cards, pick one from deck a and stick inside a car window, on the ceilin etc, then use the deck b to force a card on an unsuspecting mark.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

What about the time he spent on top of that tower in Downtown NYC?

What about being buried alive in a block of ice?

Are these not worthy?

And this feat he is attempting 44 days and nights with no food, company or anything.... just water!

nope!

he never broke the record for either, and the "buried alive in a block of ice" wasnt as fancy as you call it, it was basically not even as cold as the ice hotel in scandinavia and people stay for weeks there :lol:

he'd have to beat the record set on tomorrows world for being in iced water to get in...

but that'd not be an illusion ;) not that im saying hes not cool, he is, very infact. but hes not a record breaker!

Originally posted by RPG

nope!

he never broke the record for either, and the "buried alive in a block of ice" wasnt as fancy as you call it, it was basically not even as cold as the ice hotel in scandinavia and people stay for weeks there :lol:

he'd have to beat the record set on tomorrows world for being in iced water to get in...

but that'd not be an illusion ;) not that im saying hes not cool, he is, very infact. but hes not a record breaker!

Whatever RPG! The whole thing about him being a record breaker was for the feat he is undertaking right now! Whether or not he broke records for the other stunts is irrelevant.

Guiness wont accept his stunt/illusion/test of human willpower because they don't want to condone the danger aspect of it.

They're being hypocritical which ever way you slice it!

Guest costessey

just read a news statement from GB of R stating they have better and longer records.....didn't Bobby Sands (IRA) last 63 days on hunger strike?

Whatever the truth about David Blaine, one thing is for sure, he is a very brave man, who else, would have the guts to pull off these dangerous stunts? whether he is doing it for publicity, fame, money, memory of his Mother or whatever he gets my vote and long may he reign.

"We have records on our books which are both better and longer", said a Guinness Book of Records spokeswoman.

She said the starvation record was held by Briton Dennis Goodwin, whose hunger strike in Britain's Wakefield Prison ended in July 1973 after 385 days.

The isolation record is held by Texan Bill White, who lay buried in a box of 54 cubic feet for 141 days, two meters underground.

makes blaines "records" look laughable

David Blaine: the Master of Illusion and Magic.

Get in the Guinness Book of Records? What for fooling us?

Ha, he's good, in fact he's brilliant at what he does. Most of it isn't real. It's all an illusion!!

Being buried in a block of ice?? WOW!

Do you believe in UFO's? They're real too!! Yes, really!