Books by the Foot

I want to buy a book case for my living room but im not really an avid reader so dont have enough books to fill up a decent size book case.

Can anyone recommend the best way to fill up a book case cheaply in Sheffield?

I want to buy a book case for my living room but im not really an avid reader so dont have enough books to fill up a decent size book case.

Well you can buy books very cheaply at car boot sales, in fact by the end they are practically giving them away. If you want something grander you can buy artificial 'leather bound' faux books online that have a practical storage use, but they can be expensive, so try ebay.

But if you don't read much you don't have to fill book shelves just with books. You can mix them with objet d'art, interesting pots, ornaments etc.

They should reflect the things you're actually interested in or you find aesthetically pleasing.

The Oxfam shop on West Street?

Or you could look on Ebay for "Books job lot"

Guest makapaka

Surely this is a wind up?

Personally I think one can get much more pleasure (and not to mention knowledge) from reading - rather than looking at - books. I agree with Anna B. Object d'art are for looking at so maybe start with them. Then you could be really radical and starting building your library slowly - reading the books before you add them. Then if guests ask you about the tomes you'll be able to talk about them!

My suggestions for the first 10 would be:

1. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

2. Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene

3. On Black Hill - Bruce Chatwin

4. Woman on the Edge of Time - Marge Piercy

5. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernières

6. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Süskind

7. Room - Emma Donoghue

8. The Handmaiden's Tale - Margaret Atwood

9. Travels with My Aunt - Graham Greene

10. The Critique of Pure Reason - Immanuel Kant

(OK that last one's a bit of a joke, but it will certainly impress your guests! Read 'Kant - A Short Introduction' by Roger Scruton if you want to be able to talk intelligently about it lol!)

I hope I'm not being too preachy! Good luck :-)

https://www.theworks.co.uk/page/books

Loads of really nice books without the second hand smell in these shops one in meadowhall and one down the moor

I went into one of the so called "vintage" shops on Abbeydale road and they had loads of crappy books but wanted stupid prices for them i would rather have new without the fusty smell!!!

Going by a few recent threads.....no :help::D

No its not a wind up.

I want to get a bookcase and i need to buy books in bulk so was looking for some advice on the cheapest way to do it.

Seems odd to buy a bookcase if you don't need one. But if its what you want go to a charity shop.

Btw I have a bookcase which is half full. Top half has ornaments and pictures in. Don't read so much these days (two small children) so I think it will take me sometime to fill the rest.

I haven't read a single book on your list E-Man Groovin. Not saying they are bad I just prefer non-fiction. My books are history, science and design books mainly.

I'd go a bit more high-tech. Rather than buying second-hand books from a charity shop, buy a second-hand Kindle off 'em instead, and download as many free Amazon books as you can. Use the rest of the bookcase not taken up by Kindle as firewood, and hang pictures on freed up wall space.

I haven't read a single book on your list E-Man Groovin. Not saying they are bad I just prefer non-fiction. My books are history, science and design books mainly.

Oh cool! I love history and science books too. I also read a lot of science fiction also. No 10. on my list isn't fiction though :)