Should chatrooms be closed down?

Should all chatrooms be closed down?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should all chatrooms be closed down?

• Yes
    • No

Closing chat rooms....if only it were that simple. These predators will be lurking around on the net somewhere else.

As a parent this issue of chatrooms really worries me. As my kids get older the computer will be moved to a family room downstairs where I can keep my beady eyes on whats going on. I will contine to restrict the amount of time my kids spend online as I already do.

As a tool the net is invaluable for learning but IMO there will always be the downside of a safety issue.

We just have to keep reinforcing the message and hope it sinks in.

Originally posted by Mo

Closing chat rooms....if only it were that simple. These predators will be lurking around on the net somewhere else.

As a parent this issue of chatrooms really worries me. As my kids get older the computer will be moved to a family room downstairs where I can keep my beady eyes on whats going on. I will contine to restrict the amount of time my kids spend online as I already do.

As a tool the net is invaluable for learning but IMO there will always be the downside of a safety issue.

We just have to keep reinforcing the message and hope it sinks in.

Now this is a prime example of what parents 'should' be doing.

Well done Mo!

Chat rooms have been around since the 80's, I think closing them becuase they can't be bothered to monitor and control them is stupid.

It's just another campaign by the PC brigade. If an underage child has a PC it stands to reason that they also have a parent or guardian. It's very simple to add a filter to prevent access of certain web sites and web features.

Parents have duties too and they are neglecting them. If they claim they cannot figure out how to implelement websafe features, then maybe they need to learn how to, or not have a computer at all.

Stupid idea.

Can't even go into how many ways it's a stupid idea.

This smacks of a placebo to make people feel like something useful is being done, where are the changes to the laws governing sentencing, etc, of offenders?

Also, while being vigilant and aware of the risks, we shouldn't fall into the traps of fear being created by the media. Believe it or not there isn't an abuser on every street corner, and constantly placing newer and tighter restrictions on kids lives out of misplaced fear where there should be informed caution will only cause kids harm in the long run.