Old fashioned sweets

I was out with an old friend today, both of us born in the late 50's, and we got to talking about the gloriously tooth-rotting old fashioned sweets and confectionary items we spent our pennies on as little kids in the 60's.

A lot of the "chews" that we used to get 4 for a penny - like Blackjacks, Fruit Salad etc, and a lot of the boiled sweets that we used to buy in "quarters" from jars lined up in the sweetshops - stuff like cola cubes, pineapple chunks, sour apples etc, are still available, but there's plenty of stuff that I never see these days.... Coltsfoot Rock...Tiger Nuts...Penny Arrow bars - and my absolute all-time favourites -Lemfizz Cubes!

What old sweets do you fondly remember from your childhoods? Would you still happily eat them now? I would if I could manage them - but my teeth are just too bad to be able handle most of them these days...unsurprisingly!

:D

I remember lots of lovely sweets but since then have developed a condition called burning mouth syndrome, which means that anything that is strongly flavoured actually causes my mouth to feel like it's being set on fire. The cress in an egg and cress sandwich is too spicy for me these days, which means that many sweets are just too strongly flavoured for me to eat them now.

My particular favourite growing up were Gray's Herbal Tablet, which was meant to be a cough sweet, but I loved them. I found some on the internet a couple of years ago and bought them, only to find that they are far too strong for my wimpy mouth :(

I guess I'll have to stick with the floral gums and cherry lips then :)

I loved coconut mushrooms, old jamaica chocolate (its not the same now) and horlicks tablets...

I used to really like:

Victory 'V' lozenges

Bassetti Hard liquorice sticks.

Pineapple Rock

Sherbet Lemons

I believe you can still buy most if not all of these, but somehow either they've changed the recipe or my taste buds have changed, but they don't taste the same! :(

Theirs an little gem of a sweet shop on Broad Street old fashioned scales and glass jars of delights. Feel about six when I go in their.

I'm particularly nostalgic about toffee! I used to love Thornton's toffee - before they went all nasty and "Corporate"! Their "special" toffee, treacle toffee and fruit and nut toffee were to die for! And what about Callard and Bowser's toffee? It used to come in a sort of flimsy metal tray - with a little metal hammer to smash it up into bite-sized bits. Oooh! Those were the days!

I used to really like:

Victory 'V' lozenges

Bassetti Hard liquorice sticks.

Pineapple Rock

Sherbet Lemons

I believe you can still buy most if not all of these, but somehow either they've changed the recipe or my taste buds have changed, but they don't taste the same! :(

I feel the same. I have recently found an old fashioned sweet shop on the edge of Rotherham town centre though. I found it on line. I bought boxed up sweets that went down a treat for fathers day. They boxes looked like wicker bokes but they were printed. Excellent value and the people in the shop were really nice. Its called Dotties. It didn't have all the sweets you mentioned but it has three types of coal bottles and they were prepared to mix them up in one weight allowance for us.

My wife and I returned from a late holiday break in Lytham St Annes last week.

There is an old fashion sweet shop there in the town centre that looks like its in a time warp,

just like the ones that use to be around in the 1950's.

Unlike the sweet shops of the 1950's where all the sweets in their glass jars and cardboard packaging were behind the counter, all the sweets are on shelves from the floor to the ceiling and can be accessed by the customer - 3 wall full's of glass jars and cardboard packaging containing every sweet you can think of......my wife and I spent a good half hour just browsing the sweets you use to have when young.

One of the things that did take me back to my childhood was a jar containing Rainbow Crystals........use to love a bag of that with a lolly to dip in.

I use to buy hard sticks of liquorice for 1 old penny - now they are 25 pence each.

One of the things that did take me back to my childhood was a jar containing Rainbow Crystals........use to love a bag of that with a lolly to dip in.

You were really posh as a child then- we just used our fingers and walked round for days with bright orange hands :)

Suprised that no one here has mentioned Lyons butterscotch gums! I went to granellis religiously for years until Lyons discontinued them last year :(

Suprised that no one here has mentioned Lyons butterscotch gums! I went to granellis religiously for years until Lyons discontinued them last year :(

Oh i used to love those too. You can still get the liquorice ones. I love all the tooth rotting sweets. Pineapple Cubes, Cola Cubes, Kopp Kopps, Sour apples, sherbet pips, There were some toffee lollies, may be called bluebird lollies? Strawberry and Toffee, Banana and Toffee, Liquorice. They were my faves, loved Drumstick lollies too.

Any one remember the little black sweets that came in a small metal tin I think they were called imps