The Cross Inn, Low Bradfield

Has anybody got any info regarding a pub called the Cross Inn,which was opposite the post office at low bradfield.

Can't give you any info but I remember going in it about 30ish years ago, when I used to go camping with my mates

Has anybody got any info regarding a pub called the Cross Inn,which was opposite the post office at low bradfield.

The Cross Inn, a regular watering hole of mine, closed about 1978/9 when the landlord was a ex-insurance salesman called Jack Mirfin. The official reason for closing was the outside toilets and the cost of connecting to the main drain, but really I suspect it was Jack's wife who was fed up with it. A short time after, Jack opened The Muff Inn at Neepsend (the old Farfield Inn) with his son. Jack sadly died shortly after this.

The Old Cross as it is now called has been turned into a house and the upstairs room is where the current owner, a good friend of mine, runs his business. They still have the bar in the front room!

Did the former pub get its name after the Saxon Cross was found there?

The cross I'm referring to is the one in the church at High Bradfield.

Maybe someone can enlighten me!

Remember the Cross, last time I was in there was 1977, I use to go up to the Old Horns at High Bradfield, then ride down to the Cross then to the Plough after a night at the speedway.

Re CROSS INN. Low Bradfield. in the late 50s the Landlord was Stan Hines I used to no his daughter

Remember the Cross, last time I was in there was 1977, I use to go up to the Old Horns at High Bradfield, then ride down to the Cross then to the Plough after a night at the speedway.

Summer 1977,78 outside Cross on cricket green. Great friendly landlord, Big crowd for cricket, Typical old english summer scene. Awesome memories.:thumbsup:

Only had a ride out t'other day around Bradfield, primarily to have a look at where the Cross used to be. It brought back many happy memories of visits with good friends, sadly some of these friends like the Pub are no longer with us.

Nostalgia, you just can't beat it.

Angel1.

Re CROSS INN. Low Bradfield. in the late 50s the Landlord was Stan Hines I used to no his daughter

When he came out of the Cross he went to live in the cottages opposite the Plough.