"Furnival and Sons" Board of Trade film 1948

Apologies if this is a repost. Did a search and couldn't find it.

It's a film produced for the Board of Trade in 1948. Much of the location shooting is in Sheffield though some looks as though it isn't. Occasional blooper like the character on the Western Region train pulled by a Great Western County class locomotive on his way to Sheffield. I have read of the occasional Great Weatern loco making it through to Sheffield over the former Great Central but something more typical might have been appropriate. Still, nice footage.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-furnival-and-son-1948/

The link might be dodgy but paste without the bits to the address bar and it should get you there eventually. It's called "Furnival and Sons"

Was it 1947/48 that newly privatised BR had a series of 'loco exchanges' to assess loco performance in other areas before they began standardisation?

Indeed the locomotive exchanges did take place then. For the exchanges I believe the Great Western interloper to Sheffield was 6990 "Witherslack Hall" which put in an appearance on 24/06/48 and possibly other dates too. Ex Southern Railway 34006 "Bude" also worked through Sheffield over the same period.

Edited by Person6
sp

An interesting and reflective account of what Sheffield was like when I was a child. It illustrates how much the city has fundamentally changed over the past seventy years..... but then, so have I!

echo.

It also illustrates perfectly how the mindset of local industrialists contributed in no small way, to some of the industry's eventual demise. The message of the film, appears to be, "To succeed, work harder with the same old antiquated equipment ."

So whilst other countries were equipping themselves with the latest machines and technology, industrialists like Sir Stuart Goodwin were building fountains and sports centres as well as sponsoring golf tournaments to ingratiate themselves with goodness knows who, whilst their employees were expected to keep producing the goods on equipment that was generations out of date. When the curtain finally came down, the blame fell on the unions and British workers who found themselves labeled as slow and lazy. It makes my blood boil.

Thats a nice video (part from the fake Sheffield accent) showing parts of Sheffield as it was, especially the Wicker arches at 15m 20secs

Good film - enjoyed it. Thanks.

Unfortunately not viewable in Canada on that BBC link!

Thanks for the thread Person6.

I particularly enjoyed the two parts of Saville Street East filmed from, possibly, a tram, 1min 10 secs in and, carrying on where the first left off, 7 mins 45 secs in. It's the area where I worked in 1959 to 1966. The first time I've seen movie of this particular location. :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Unfortunately not viewable in Canada on that BBC link!

Some players only work for people with an internet connection on the UK. I subscribe to a VPN called IPVANISH which allows me to set my location anywhere in the world, effectively disguising my ip address. This would allow you to connect to a UK server and view the footage.

There are a few of other Sheffield related films on the BFI website, some of which will be familiar. One of which is a home movie from Sheffield Industrialist a"Billy" Ibberson and consists mainly of children on holiday in various locations, however, there are a couple of brief shots of Sheffield including one down Broad Lane in the last minute or so of the film.

Edited by Person6
typo