Sign in to follow this  

English

..Why should English be used extensively in other countries? and why is it considered a "superior language"? Why shouldn't it be something like French?

I think it's due to big historical reasons dating back to the British Empire and all that... but I'm not a historian, so I wouldn't like to expand on that.

Because no-one like the french.

English are lazy with languages and as such, foreign countries have had to learn because we wont.

The computing industry is dominated by the USA, and MicroSoft, and they speak a form of English so it's de facto become the language of technology and therefore taught as a second language in most countries.

DB and maxt... I agree with you both - but I think people started speaking English a long time before package holidays and Microsoft Windows came to light.

Now there's really no turning back! :D

xxxxxxxxxxx

I think that the school curriculum in this country should encourage or make it compulsory to study a European language as it is extremely beneficial when looking for jobs. I would love to work abroad and speak the lingo.

Isn't French just great? the sound of the language makes me feel all warm inside:D

French is simple to learn, and incredibly sexy. One of the great romance languages, it really does the job. Italian, post-renaissance? No thank you. I'd rather read Dante in the translation.

All this talk of learning a foreign language to be made compulsory is all well and good, but i've met a few natives of this country who can't even speak english properly :?

Originally posted by Abby

All this talk of learning a foreign language to be made compulsory is all well and good, but i've met a few natives of this country who can't even speak english properly :?

ha ha ha that tickled me :) yeh your right about that!!!

You wha? Wha tha on abaht ya daft numskull.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just out of interest Da Bouncer ...do you have it in for Abby as you always have a dig at him