Sign in to follow this  

Conker trees

When I was a kid, I used to hunt high and low for the best conkers and would climb so high to get the biggest conker. I dare not think what would happen if I slipped.

So, where is the best place for conkers?

While on the subject of conkers... have you ever been hit on the head by one as you walked down the street?

I used to be a right addict. Trying all sorts to make them tough/hard. Nail Varnish, Coal Fire, Viniger etc. Best places? I used to get mine from forest at Totley and a Horse riding school at Whiston.

I've never been hit by one falling as I've walked down the street. I bet those spikes can be nasty! I have been whacked around the head by one attached to a lace though. :lol:

I remember there used to be a great conker tree on Whitley Lane in Ecclesfield - near Whitley Hall. - Don't know if it's still there.

Because I am not a native Sheffielder I got mine from Wombwell Woods.

Unfortunately it is now used by the local massess as a who playground and dumping groud.......not for long though Forestry commission have just bought it up :D

Moon

Hillsborough Park is good for cobnuts, there are some decent trees near the pond.

I remember having an unbeaten conker at school, fifty summater I think. I then decided to bake it so it would be invincible. Guess what, it shattered during the next match. What a bummer.:(

Never been hit on the head by one.