Sign in to follow this  

How do you make humous/hummus/humus?

I guess the question isn't just how to make it, but also how to spell it! :lol:

Anyway, for those who don't know what it is, it's a "smooth thick mixture of mashed chickpeas, tahini, oil, lemon juice, and garlic, used especially as a dip for pita." [Ref: dictionary.com]

So, I know the ingredients and I know what it's supposed to turn out like, but when my girlfriend and I tried to make it the other night, it turned into a horrible, runny mess! :(

So, does anyone actually make it? If so, what's your secret? I think ours may have turned out wrong because we had a weight for uncooked chickpeas but we used canned ready-to-use chickpeas... :?

I made a lovely one. But i did use the correct dried chickpea ratio:lol:

After that it's all trying and testing, and to taste.

Believe me, it's well worth it. But maybe a recipe book?

We used a recipe off t'Internet...

I was really after a step-by-step guide from someone who makes it successfully every time... :)

Anyone? Please...? :cry:

A step by step guide:

Go to Tesco

Purchase packet of hummus

Take it home, put in a dish and serve.

Yeah I have tried making it before and basically it is a faff, go and buy it, it is much easier.

PS I have made some nice onion bhaji's, they are much easier.

LOL... I think you're both right... no one seems to be able to make it as successfully or as cheap as Tesco! Oh well... maybe I'll try making some Onion Bhajis instead then! :lol:

Simple. Can of chickpeas, stick em in a blender. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a crushed clove of garlic, and a dash of lemon juice. Blend. Add olive oil until of required consistency.

There you go. Just remember to blend on a low setting or you'll end up with humous paste.

At last! Thank you! I'll give it a go. I think our last lot had too much lemon juice in it. (The recipe said 8 tablespoons or something... so I think that might have been a typo :o !)

I used a hand blender and I ended up trying to sieve the "humous" to get rid of the slop. Out of a full tin of chick peas, I was left with a desert spoon full of "thick" humous.

:lol:

Originally posted by waxy chuff

Simple. Can of chickpeas, stick em in a blender. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a crushed clove of garlic, and a dash of lemon juice. Blend. Add olive oil until of required consistency.

There you go. Just remember to blend on a low setting or you'll end up with humous paste.

Add Tahini, which is ground up sesame seeds. That and chick peas are the basis of true humous.

You can also add sundried tomatoes, red peppers or black olives. Stick one of those in the blender too to flavour it up. Lots of garlic is a must too.

Great on pita bread. Loaded with calories but full of fiber, so it's very good for you.

Thanks for the tips Funke88! It had Tahini on that recipe I tried, but I couldn't find any anywhere! I've found it in my local grocery shop though now, so I'll be giving it a whirl soon! :D