Powell Street 1950's

I remember the 100 steps in Mushroom Lane but my memory fails to recollect the exact place where they were situated can someone jog my memory?

The Fairhursts and the Johnsons come to mind from Mushroom Lane and of course Beers fruit and veg shop on the corner with Fawcett Street.

I was married at the St Stephens church and remember the Co-op being across the road.

I remember the 100 steps in Mushroom Lane but my memory fails to recollect the exact place where they were situated can someone jog my memory?...
They went from Mushroom Lane down to Bromley Street - here's a map. :)

We used to hold competitions to see who could reach the top of the100 steps the quickest without stopping. Just thinking about it makes me feel exhausted now.

Do you remember the tunnel at the top of Bromley street it ran under Crookes valley road to Crookes valley park. We used to think that it was a Polar bear cave when we were kids.

Hi diggers1 - oddly enough I don't remember the tunnel but I just found it mentioned in this old thread - post #3. I think the reference to "Canada Street" must mean Blythe Street. :)

They went from Mushroom Lane down to Bromley Street - here's a map. :)

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now, there used to be a old broken down playground around there too where I got the biggest splinter you can image stuck in my bum from the old perished wooden see-saw. In fact in wasn't a splinter it was a piece of wood the size of a lolly pop stick, oow I can feel it now.:o

Hi Jaffa1, we lived straight across the road from the top of the 100 steps. There was a shop at one side and a large detached house set in a big garden at the other side where Taylors and Rutherfords lived. As kids, we spent many hours walking along the dangerous wall alongside the steps to the bottom then precariously balancing on the handrail and walking back up the other side. No health and safely! Would love to see photos of Mushroom Lane and that big detached house.

Hi all, Derek Dignam lived at number 26 Powell street and one of our friends with the red hair was Nicholas Taylor, other friends included Lesley Baker, Graham Thackeray, Roger Jubb, Brian Barnes. Jaqueline Murphy lived in our yard she use to play with Janet Dignam, Derek's sister.I remember Mrs Barnes and Pauline, Brians sister. They had a Vauxhall Cresta biggest car in the street, as a treat we were taken for a trip to Chatsworth for a picnic. That was a real treat back then. We moved to Gleadless valley in 1961 and lived on Gaunt road. Had to travel across town to Myers Grove Comprehensive(Stannington) for school as we live in the Sheffield 3 district (Netherthorpe) before we moved to Gleadless which fell in the catchment area for Myers Grove. I couldn't believe it 3 buses there and 3 buses back at 11 yrs old wouldn't happen now!

We used to call the shop on Powell Street 'middle shop' and I remember Brian Barnes, who was a bit older than me. I knew Barbara Baker (across from the shop) and think her brother was called Leslie. I moved to Woodseats and also had a long commute to Myers Grove.

On 20/02/2017 at 11:26, everdearest said:

Hi Jaffa1, we lived straight across the road from the top of the 100 steps. There was a shop at one side and a large detached house set in a big garden at the other side where Taylors and Rutherfords lived. As kids, we spent many hours walking along the dangerous wall alongside the steps to the bottom then precariously balancing on the handrail and walking back up the other side. No health and safely! Would love to see photos of Mushroom Lane and that big detached house.

Did you by any chance know Derek Rutherford