Can anyone remember these CB radioers from 1980s?

Memory Joggers to some of you mebbe?

'Fred' (the Baron) or 'Concrete Freddie' ... One of the Sheffield 'Bad Lads' ;) Main supplier of contraband rigs to the North of England, shop located about half a mile down the road from Hillsbro' nick, used to have container-wagons full of rigs turn up at the shop... I've been part of the human chain that unloaded them on a couple of occasions... You've never seen container-wagons emptied so rapidly, we put the average docker to shame! At a time when 'Busby' was frantically trying to stop the spread of illegal 27MHz sets, stopping cars at random and raiding houses, our Fred was merrily despatching sets all over the UK by Red Star (British Rail Transport), the authorities never thought to look under their noses for them! Not a lad to be trifled with, was Fred, as one or two discovered to their cost. I used to collect hundreds of pounds-worth of sets from him at a time and resell them, paid him for them when I'd moved them all, never thought of not coughing up the cash though, he and his associates were not the kind you argue with!

Blue Bandit, he was Freds' 'minder' and sidekick, Paddington (Pads) who used to work for Fred at that time, another hard case, but a great guy. Maestro, a mechanic I think, who I remember running educational film-shows in the workshop at night, with booze supplied on demand, good times were had by all. ;)

Steel City Customs, CB shop at Hillsbro', run by 'Jenny' (beautiful and stacked, a real head-turner, had the guys drooling!) and her partner Bob (Candy Man), a trucker. Place used to sell loads of AM rigs 'under the counter', always a good hang-out with plenty of coffee on the go and a sandwich-shop nearby, spent many happy hours in there.

SF - (Special Filter)... Owned an electronics shop on Ecclesall Road and dealt in 27Mhz rigs, partner was 'Brown Eyes', he was big mates with Jim Roach (head of the local Busbys at that time, great guy Jim actually, he had a lot of sympathy for CB'ers. If you gave him no trouble, didn't boast about how he could never catch you, didn't use excessive power during tv transmission hours and didn't use obscene language over the air, he left you alone)

I was once told the tale of a CB'er living near Jim Roach's home, who was continually boasting that he would never be caught, as he lived in a block with a controlled entrance and nobody could ever raid him. Jim, who regularly monitored the CB channels from his house, heard talk of an eyeball being arranged by this guy and decided to investigate, driving around, he spotted a car with a DV27 aerial and followed it discreetly, it headed towards a block of nearby flats, parked up and was soon joined by several other cars, similarly equipped, along with Jim, driving a normal saloon. The occupants all got out and headed towards the entrance, exchanged a few words with 'the breaker who could never be raided' and were admitted, Jim tagging along behind them... Once in the flat, they made themselves comfortable, coffee was served... and then they all introduced themselves... Including Mr Roach!! ... I don't believe that anyone was nicked at that meeting but the flat owner was never heard boasting about his invincibility ever again.

I bought my original set, a 40-channel AM Veep for 120 notes second-hand from 'Tom Cat' in Rotherham (I went intending to buy a colour tv from him but spied the CB in the back of the shop and got sidetracked!). Later, sets dropped drastically in price and the idiots arrived, mike-keying, playing music, swearing continually at each other, interrupting every conversation wanting to know who was on channel... And then it all became legal with the arrival of FM sets... :(

hi bico,you certainly brought some memories back of those good old days,you certainly know your stuff,,regards ian ,,aka blue bandit

i was Marie First Love from Hackenthorpe

I remember you Marie,,,My handle was avenger,,,,(Darren) also from Hackenthorpe

does anyone use the cb now

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 12:53 ----------

looking for shagnasty red rum and honey bee and tickle tits

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 12:56 ----------

also looking for jay (executioner)

hi bico,you certainly brought some memories back of those good old days,you certainly know your stuff,,regards ian ,,aka blue bandit

You certainly sparked some memories, concrete fred used to come into my mates garage regularly, what a character. I could fill a page with the stories. You should remember us going out to Dinnington to the banger car races and Fred taking over the running of the place, but the best story I can remember of Fred was when one of his concrete drivers complained about his brakes weren't very good, Freds answer was I don't pay you to <removed> stop!!

Edited by nikki-red
Masked swearing.

just come across this thread..i was kickstart,i was also angel warrior..still see honey bee saw her last night in my local

Was Starqueen for a few years in the 80'swhen i was 14, came back on 1991 after passing my test and was Whitewitch, would sit up Treeton & Boston Castle, still in touch with Shagnasty (Gary), Apple pie (Pete) & Wings of Love (Lynn)

On 03/11/2005 at 09:22, Bic0 said:

Memory Joggers to some of you mebbe?

'Fred' (the Baron) or 'Concrete Freddie' ... One of the Sheffield 'Bad Lads' ;) Main supplier of contraband rigs to the North of England, shop located about half a mile down the road from Hillsbro' nick, used to have container-wagons full of rigs turn up at the shop... I've been part of the human chain that unloaded them on a couple of occasions... You've never seen container-wagons emptied so rapidly, we put the average docker to shame! At a time when 'Busby' was frantically trying to stop the spread of illegal 27MHz sets, stopping cars at random and raiding houses, our Fred was merrily despatching sets all over the UK by Red Star (British Rail Transport), the authorities never thought to look under their noses for them! Not a lad to be trifled with, was Fred, as one or two discovered to their cost. I used to collect hundreds of pounds-worth of sets from him at a time and resell them, paid him for them when I'd moved them all, never thought of not coughing up the cash though, he and his associates were not the kind you argue with!

Blue Bandit, he was Freds' 'minder' and sidekick, Paddington (Pads) who used to work for Fred at that time, another hard case, but a great guy. Maestro, a mechanic I think, who I remember running educational film-shows in the workshop at night, with booze supplied on demand, good times were had by all. ;)

Steel City Customs, CB shop at Hillsbro', run by 'Jenny' (beautiful and stacked, a real head-turner, had the guys drooling!) and her partner Bob (Candy Man), a trucker. Place used to sell loads of AM rigs 'under the counter', always a good hang-out with plenty of coffee on the go and a sandwich-shop nearby, spent many happy hours in there.

SF - (Special Filter)... Owned an electronics shop on Ecclesall Road and dealt in 27Mhz rigs, partner was 'Brown Eyes', he was big mates with Jim Roach (head of the local Busbys at that time, great guy Jim actually, he had a lot of sympathy for CB'ers. If you gave him no trouble, didn't boast about how he could never catch you, didn't use excessive power during tv transmission hours and didn't use obscene language over the air, he left you alone)

I was once told the tale of a CB'er living near Jim Roach's home, who was continually boasting that he would never be caught, as he lived in a block with a controlled entrance and nobody could ever raid him. Jim, who regularly monitored the CB channels from his house, heard talk of an eyeball being arranged by this guy and decided to investigate, driving around, he spotted a car with a DV27 aerial and followed it discreetly, it headed towards a block of nearby flats, parked up and was soon joined by several other cars, similarly equipped, along with Jim, driving a normal saloon. The occupants all got out and headed towards the entrance, exchanged a few words with 'the breaker who could never be raided' and were admitted, Jim tagging along behind them... Once in the flat, they made themselves comfortable, coffee was served... and then they all introduced themselves... Including Mr Roach!! ... I don't believe that anyone was nicked at that meeting but the flat owner was never heard boasting about his invincibility ever again.

I bought my original set, a 40-channel AM Veep for 120 notes second-hand from 'Tom Cat' in Rotherham (I went intending to buy a colour tv from him but spied the CB in the back of the shop and got sidetracked!). Later, sets dropped drastically in price and the idiots arrived, mike-keying, playing music, swearing continually at each other, interrupting every conversation wanting to know who was on channel... And then it all became legal with the arrival of FM sets... :(

I knew Alan Special filter, but knew his daughter better. i went out with Caroline for a while. Her handle was "Dobbin". I started off as "Billy Whiz" then "Artic Lite" I met Jim roach on a few occasions in the shop on Ecclesall road. I also knew Mick "Scallywag" and Alan "nightmare" and of course  "Iron Legs" who had a hardware shop at Crosspool. He put a PDL 2 up on the gable and it nearly pulled the wall down :). I stared off with a straight 40 General Electric and a GPZ 27 in the loft. But then progressed to a Shakespere Super Bigstik and various sideband type radios. It was all great before 27/81 came about :)

I came into CB radio in 1981 so a bit later than Ian is talking about and remember IXL and another shop near the now gone roundabout near Herries Rd bus station.

I was fortunate to live on the 11th floor of a high rise flat in Pitsmoor and mainly spent my time DXing for foreign copies because of the strong signal I got on a simple DV27.

great days, always envious of Neil Lion in Worral, best place in Sheffield to get out there. 

I think Neil Lion still lives in Worall

What is the current CB situation ?

Are there many users and if so are the idiots that were on air when I was a user still around ?

Is there a location in the Sheffield area still selling CB products ?

I was talking to someone other day who reckons CB is as popular as ever.

I'm not so sure about that but apparently so.

It must be the legal FM version but you do not hear of it these days.