Do you use calor gas heaters?

i have done a search but nothing really answers my question.

I currently have storage heating, i only have it downstairs and no heating at all upstairs! the house is freezing and with a toddler and a baby to think about i am looking at all options. The storage heating is pants and costing a fortune so i have turned it off and invested in some nice warm blankets to snuggle up with on the settee and we have a couple of oil filled heaters.

Someone has mentioned calor gas heaters to me and i have been looking and its reasonably cheap to set up. I am just wanting any feedback from anyone who uses these heaters if they are really as efficient as they claim and roughly how long does a gas bottle last?

Being on maternity at the moment we are in the the house most days and trying to cut back!

i have done a search but nothing really answers my question.

I currently have storage heating, i only have it downstairs and no heating at all upstairs! the house is freezing and with a toddler and a baby to think about i am looking at all options. The storage heating is pants and costing a fortune so i have turned it off and invested in some nice warm blankets to snuggle up with on the settee and we have a couple of oil filled heaters.

Someone has mentioned calor gas heaters to me and i have been looking and its reasonably cheap to set up. I am just wanting any feedback from anyone who uses these heaters if they are really as efficient as they claim and roughly how long does a gas bottle last?

Being on maternity at the moment we are in the the house most days and trying to cut back!

I don't know much about the calor heaters, but the oil filled ones cost the earth to run AFAIK.

I don't know much about the calor heaters, but the oil filled ones cost the earth to run AFAIK.

i used them last year and found they were slightly cheaper than the storage but we just need something to take the chill off the air quickly then it can be turned off. thats why we are thinking about the gas.

A friend of mine used to have a portable calor heater in the bedroom, before central heating was fitted. She said it was great - instant heat and cheap to run. It's impossible to say how long a gas bottle would last, because it all depends on how long you have the heater running for.

Of course, they also have the advantage that it's easy to keep track on how much you're spending, and you don't get any nasty surprises when bills come in.

I've got one of those electric halogen heaters, (but mine was cheaper than that, from somewhere like Wilcos) which I use if I'm only going to be in a room for a relatively short time and it's not worth waiting for the radiator to heat it up. They really belt out the heat and are supposed to be not too expensive to run. Their advantage over the calor gas heaters is that they are smaller and more portable.

the oil ones I assume are the electric rads?

calor heaters is what my parents are using at the moment as they live in an all electric village with no gas

we've used them quite a lot in the past, the first time being when we lived in a house in Glasgow with 12ft high ceilings, and having tried coal, wood, parafin (don't ask) and fan heating, the calor heater was most effective and cheapest

in this day and age, with hermetically sealed double glazing, you need to set your window to it's ventilation 'closed' - you know how there's like a double catch on upvc windows? Calor gas burns the oxygen out of the air, creating carbon dioxide (not carbon monoxide - don't panic) and water, so another side effect is increased condensation, so be prepared to deal with that either by ventilation extraction, or dehumidifying (either by electrical or chemical means)

At the moment I'm deliberating over alternatives to running the heating whilst I'm home during the day. There's a lot to be said for only heating the room you're in with the gas fire (I've never liked central heating for tons of reasons) but our's is one of those coal impersonating ones which costs as much as the heating to run! I'm considering dragging the calor heater out of the garage to use during the day instead of heating the whole house

the cheapest way to deal with the problem is to take the kids round to your mum's :D

there is a business don south that do an electric radiator like no other .

here is a link to the sort of thing they do.. there are various sizes and efficiencies available.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Energy-Efficient-Electric-Radiators-Heaters_W0QQitemZ110304727319QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110304727319&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

the oil ones I assume are the electric rads?

calor heaters is what my parents are using at the moment as they live in an all electric village with no gas

we've used them quite a lot in the past, the first time being when we lived in a house in Glasgow with 12ft high ceilings, and having tried coal, wood, parafin (don't ask) and fan heating, the calor heater was most effective and cheapest

in this day and age, with hermetically sealed double glazing, you need to set your window to it's ventilation 'closed' - you know how there's like a double catch on upvc windows? Calor gas burns the oxygen out of the air, creating carbon dioxide (not carbon monoxide - don't panic) and water, so another side effect is increased condensation, so be prepared to deal with that either by ventilation extraction, or dehumidifying (either by electrical or chemical means)

At the moment I'm deliberating over alternatives to running the heating whilst I'm home during the day. There's a lot to be said for only heating the room you're in with the gas fire (I've never liked central heating for tons of reasons) but our's is one of those coal impersonating ones which costs as much as the heating to run! I'm considering dragging the calor heater out of the garage to use during the day instead of heating the whole house

the cheapest way to deal with the problem is to take the kids round to your mum's :D

this is similar to the one i have, although got a fright googling cause this one was recalled!!! luckily my model number is safe.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML07/07168b.jpg

my mum is at work all day which rules that out:hihi::hihi:

I tend to just heat the room the we are in and not the whole house anyway, this evening i had to put the heater on about half hour before we came upstairs so that it was warm enough for bath and bed.

i like the look of the calor but my mum thinks it may be unsafe for the kids, i can get a guard for it but thats £30. I can stretch to the heater and the deposit for the gas cannister and the intitial gas but not the cover that would be next month! just undecided as yet.

Have been looking at convector heaters but i feel they would cost same as storage.. grr why does it have to get so bleeding cold:rant::mad:

put a combination boiler in .. on the never never.. every one else does ..

you could fit a boiler and just a few rads and extend the system when a little richer..

a boiler would run quite happily with only 2 or 3 rads on it .

also thing to remember ...

important

For safety reasons portable heaters must not be used in the bedroom or bathroom. Heaters must also be used in a well ventilated room.

quoted from here.

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/acatalog/

i would also go for a catalytic heater.. if i had small children

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/de-longhi-sc85-catalytic.htm

quote again,

The catalytic nature of the heater makes it a safe heater for garages and workshops. It features no naked flame except for the pilot light.

Despite the heaters compact size it can still give out a considerable 3kW of heat. More than just powerful, the De'Longhi SC85 provides clean, swift and efficient warmth.

ebay has a few ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORTABLE-CATALYTIC-SUPERSER-CALOR-GAS-HEATER-HEATERS_W0QQitemZ130265587251QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130265587251&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

put a combination boiler in .. on the never never.. every one else does ..

you could fit a boiler and just a few rads and extend the system when a little richer..

a boiler would run quite happily with only 2 or 3 rads on it .

also thing to remember ...

important

For safety reasons portable heaters must not be used in the bedroom or bathroom. Heaters must also be used in a well ventilated room.

quoted from here.

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/acatalog/

i would also go for a catalytic heater.. if i had small children

http://www.lpg-portable-heaters.co.uk/de-longhi-sc85-catalytic.htm

quote again,

The catalytic nature of the heater makes it a safe heater for garages and workshops. It features no naked flame except for the pilot light.

Despite the heaters compact size it can still give out a considerable 3kW of heat. More than just powerful, the De'Longhi SC85 provides clean, swift and efficient warmth.

its not my house so trying to not pay too much money, i was thinking about getting a boiler if possible anyway as heating the water for baths is so expensive and my hot water tank is only small! but would have to get the gas installed from street then the boiler.

i looked at the catalytic one and thought it would be safer but was findig it harder to get reviews for that one. thanks for the advice:thumbsup:

it will cost you anything up to 3k for gas to b run into the propety.. :(

there is a electric boiler option available to .. works similar to the gas boiler.

http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/TRIANCO_AZTEC_TRI9_ELECTRIC_BOILER_9KW

ignore the cylinder, you could fit 1 of these and all being well use your old cylinder if it is the correct type. this would do a small property quite easily, cheap to install and very efficient at 98 % so there is no loss what so ever at that .

British Gas Service Listed

Kitemarked

No flue or fuel supply tank required

No noxious gasses, 99.8% efficient

Virtually maintenance free

Individual stainless steel elements

Self diagnostic checking

Soft switching to preserve element life and prevent interference

Re-settable thermal safety cut out

Compatible with solar power

it will cost you anything up to 3k for gas to b run into the propety.. :(

i think its £300 here, they only put the pipes in the street last year and offered it at a reduced rate of £150 to install it to the house stating it was half price.luckily all my neighbours(coucil tenants) had it installed so we have been told it will be easily done :D

thats great. the last 1 i did the guy paid 10 k to get it up his cul de sac then when his neighbor asked for it to .. he was told 10k to.. :)

they only brought a pipe up big enough for 1 property . :)

typical privatization. at its best. it was free many years ago.