What's your car's mileage?

It struck me today that when ever a mechanic or alike looks at my car they always want to know the milage. Usually not when they take the car but just before they give it back. Also I had roadside recovery out to help with a flat tyre on the motorway and even then he wanted to know the exact milage of the car for the paperwork.

Why are mechanics so preoccupied with my cars milage and who is interested in the distance my car has travelled? I cant think of any reason for these details to be so important.

Out of interest, does anyone know?

Usually, they don't ask. They just write it down. The reason (where I am) is to send you an email or postcard letting you know your car is due for it's xxx thousand mile service.

If they know the mileage, they can recommend you having this done or that done. (whether it needs it or not)

I could do some work on your car. After the work is done you could do 10,000 miles in a week and the car die. You could blame my work. I would argue that you have done 10,000 miles since I did any work on your car.

It struck me today that when ever a mechanic or alike looks at my car they always want to know the milage. Usually not when they take the car but just before they give it back. Also I had roadside recovery out to help with a flat tyre on the motorway and even then he wanted to know the exact milage of the car for the paperwork.

Why are mechanics so preoccupied with my cars milage and who is interested in the distance my car has travelled? I cant think of any reason for these details to be so important.

Out of interest, does anyone know?

It is of vital importance, far more so than a cars age.

Dont forget, every gear, bearing, piston etc has done that mileage

Mine has done 147,000 miles, in 10 years, that is not a lot.

If a mechanic was presented with a car that had done 147,000 in one year, he would be wary of it, as it would suggest that car had been thrashed.

10 years ago, a car was done in at 100,000 miles, but a modern car can keep running for ever practically, if it is well maintained.

agreed!... the mechanic needs to know what your car has done if the part should fail in the future. I was in a tyre place once with a chap that had recently had two front tyres fitted and tracked up....he had returned three weeks later with a band of tread worn out around the outer rim of both tyres. The car had done 4,000 miles in three weeks and the tyre shop owner said that tracking could not cover 4,000 miles because curbing a wheel after 10 miles could knock it out.....turns out the car was used as a taxi

I could do some work on your car. After the work is done you could do 10,000 miles in a week and the car die. You could blame my work. I would argue that you have done 10,000 miles since I did any work on your car.

Now I understand why :)

Thanks