Nice day for a white wedding?

The eldest daughter of my friend wishes to get married next year in September or October. He and his wife have met the intended boy on several occasions and like him lots. BUT, there is a snag!

The daughter of my friend wants a white wedding with ALL and I mean ALL the trimmings. The parents of the groom have already stated that tradition dictates that the parents of the bride should foot the entire bill.

So, who should pay? My friend has three daughters and the one getting married is the eldest! He dare not set a precedent that could ruin him financially!

:(

Equal rights for women dictate that they are no longer seen as property belonging to their fathers, so there's no reason that their father has to pay the costs of offloading her on to another man.

Why doesn't he have an adult conversation with his adult daughter about what he can afford, and they'd hopefully understand it.

Is the daughter Veruca Salt?

Why do the bride's parents pay, why did that become the tradition I wonder?

The eldest daughter of my friend wishes to get married next year in September or October. He and his wife have met the intended boy on several occasions and like him lots. BUT, there is a snag!

The daughter of my friend wants a white wedding with ALL and I mean ALL the trimmings. The parents of the groom have already stated that tradition dictates that the parents of the bride should foot the entire bill.

So, who should pay? My friend has three daughters and the one getting married is the eldest! He dare not set a precedent that could ruin him financially!

:(

We paid for our own 28 years ago.

Why do the bride's parents pay, why did that become the tradition I wonder?

It has been the tradition for many many years. I do not know the origins of it however.

We paid for our own 28 years ago.

For your own daughter?

I am getting married next december and my parents have already indicated how they will contribute but I don't expect them to foot the entire bill it is our responsilbility

Why doesn't he have an adult conversation with his adult daughter about what he can afford, and they'd hopefully understand it.

Is the daughter Veruca Salt?

I am not sure if she has any medical conditions.:huh:

I am getting married next december and my parents have already indicated how they will contribute but I don't expect them to foot the entire bill it is our responsilbility

It is so refreshing to hear that. I am going to copy this thread and the responses and take it to my friend to read.

Will he Wonk her? :D

I really am not sure what chocolate factories have to do with this?:suspect: