Are you scared of needles?

A point raised on another thread about not being able to donate blood due to being scared of needles. It might be just me, but I find this excuse pretty lame. I mean, having injections and/or blood transfusions are not particularly pleasant, but apart from a small level of discomfort, what is there to be scared of?!

I suppose those who are scared would be too scared to be immunised and/or given a blood transfusion. Or, is that a different kettle of fish?!

Anyhow, are you scared of needles? If so, would it prevent you from donating blood?

Anyhow, are you scared of needles? If so, would it prevent you from donating blood?

Nope: AND Nope!

I don't think its a lame reason, as it is a phobia.

I am one of those people who really doesnt like needles to the extent that at 28 years old I still have to take my mum (or someone else) with me when I am sent for blood tests from the doctor . . . i can't look at the needle or my stomach turns and I feel like I am going to throw up, and I generally when finished, go pale and dizzy so have to wait about 5 mins before I can move anywhere. What makes it worse is that my veins aren't very clear and so on about 95% of the time I have to have blood taken it takes them a few trys to find a vein that is willing to give . . . . and i have also had on more than one occasion the blood has clotted so I have had to return to try again - which has not helped my fear!

I would love to be able to give blood to help save lives but the fact of the matter is I am terrified, and struggle to go when I have to for my own health issues.....

Most people have a fear, and other people will think it is a silly fear (eg I have a friend that is terrified of clowns) and I wonder how you can be scared of a clown - - its a child friendly thing . . . but thats the way we work. I would never mock/call someone lame for a fear they had as in an individuals mind it is a rational fear!!!

A point raised on another thread about not being able to donate blood due to being scared of needles. It might be just me, but I find this excuse pretty lame. I mean, having injections and/or blood transfusions are not particularly pleasant, but apart from a small level of discomfort, what is there to be scared of?!

I suppose those who are scared would be too scared to be immunised and/or given a blood transfusion. Or, is that a different kettle of fish?!

Unfortunately I do have a phobia of needles. I have been and tried to give blood sat inside the building in fact but had to rush out as I felt extremely, sick and was going to faint. I have great admiration for anyone who can give blood.

When I have to go to the dentist or when I have had an operation the thought of the needles is quite extreme. I have passed out on many occasions due to having had to endure needles. At the dentist I have to have an anaesthetic on my gum to numb it and then have to close my eyes until the needle has been inserted.

I remember on one occasion where I actually hit a dentist as she came straight towards me with the needle - I felt really awful but really couldn't help it. The dentist, bless her, was really good and realised how bad my phobia was and changed tactic.

Even just having the canular being put in for my operation was a traumatic event for me. Luckily the hospital were aware of my phobia and they made provision for that and treated me really well.

There are lots of phobias that people suffer from. Unfortunately mine is needles.

Oh and I have never had the "big" injection (?TB) that most children have at school due to my phobia.

Luckily my polio "injections" were given on sugar lumps.

I don't go for tetanus booster injections as apparently you are supposed to have them every 10 years.

The actual thought of having an injections brings me out in a sweat and makes me feel quite ill.

So I go out of my way to encounter NOT having to have needles. I have been told that due to my age I should have a cholesterol check but it involves needles so no way.

I wouldn't even dream of going on holiday abroad to anywhere that involved having a needle - I could not put myself through it.

So it's not just a case of being "scared" of a needle it is an actual phobia.

And as with other "phobias" should be taken seriously and not laughed at. For the person concerned a phobia can be very serious and can be very dibilatating.

I had forgot about the needles in the dentist until I read your post lainey . . . and in the past I have opted to have fillings (quite deep ones) without a needle, as I would sooner have the direct pain from them doing the filling than have to have a needle first - but when I have had to have the dentists needles I also have the gel first and then have my eyes closed until the dentist has moved as seeing them come towards my mouth needle in hand makes me feel ill.

I have also in the past suffered with ingrown toenails and on one occasion ended up in the a&e as it got infected and so they did a minor op - which involved 3 needles in my big toe to numb it . . i screamed so loud that my mum had to tell me to stop - but i couldnt its my reaction to needles and I couldnt help it

Not scared of needles but the last time I tried to give blood they sent me away because they thought I looked too thin lol.

I understand that people have phobias, and those phobias can and do include being scared of needles. However, this seems to be a very common phobia which makes me think some people are getting "don't like needles" mixed up with a genuine phobia.

I understand that people have phobias, and those phobias can and do include being scared of needles. However, this seems to be a very common phobia which makes me think some people are getting "don't like needles" mixed up with a genuine phobia.

I don't like needles, but that doesn't stop me donating blood. I just deal with it.

People with a genuine phobia of needles would be utterly incapable; either because you'd never get them through the door, or because they would faint, vomit, or run out screaming when the needle was produced. A genuine phobia cannot merely be "dealt with."

I don't like needles, but that doesn't stop me donating blood. I just deal with it.

People with a genuine phobia of needles would be utterly incapable; either because you'd never get them through the door, or because they would faint, vomit, or run out screaming when the needle was produced. A genuine phobia cannot merely be "dealt with."

That I accept, but what I am getting at is... how many people, I wonder, mix the two up?!

That I accept, but what I am getting at is... how many people, I wonder, mix the two up?!

It's impossible to say. I suspect there are some who use "scared of needles" as an excuse for laziness or apathy. The question to ask, when someone makes that claim, would be "are you an organ donor?" ...since organ harvesting takes place when you're dead, and therefore won't have to be injected. :P

No it's not a lame excuse at all. As with others who have mentioned it here, it's a phobia, called blenophobia.

I have blenophobia and hemophobia (fear of blood). I go cold, feel sick & dizzy and I actually pass out if I see blood or anyone coming towards me with a needle. So no I won't be donating blood. I don't go to be immunised or to the dentist, I've never had an operation or any other medical procedure, and (touch wood) I hope I never need a transfusion.

So yes it is just you who finds this "excuse" lame :P

I wouldn't be seen dead with a vampire! :hihi: