Placement of a Photocopier, health and safety

Anyone know the regs (health and safety) for placement of a photocopier? It’s a big all in one Xerox Workstation and the facilities team have decided to dump it behind me, getting pretty sick of the noise, the people and the smell….. so wan’t to back up my complaint with some facts

Maybe a bit jobsworth-like, but they are quick to quote all regulations when they want to change things so i want to have a go back haha.

Is there a minimum distance, what about ventilation?

cheers!

Lifted from Wikipedia:

As a fine powder, toner can remain suspended in the air for some period, and is considered to have health effects comparable to inert dust. It can be an irritant to people with respiratory conditions such as asthma or bronchitis. Following studies on bacteria in the 1970s that raised concerns about health effects resulting from pyrrole, a contaminant created during manufacture of the carbon black used in black toner, manufacturing processes were changed to eliminate pyrrole from the finished product.

According to recent research, some laser printers emit submicrometer particles which have been associated in other environmental studies with respiratory diseases .[3]

An unpublished study at the University of Rostock in Germany is reported to have found that the microscopic particles in toners are carcinogenic, similar to asbestos. Several technicians who had been working with printers and copiers on a daily basis were observed for several years. They showed increased lung problems.[4]

I don't know about the UK, but in Denmark a photocopier is not allowed to be placed in an office where people work. It has to have its own dedicated room or be in a corridor.

This is because of the ozone emitted (that funny smell) which is hazardous to health.

I don't know about the UK, but in Denmark a photocopier is not allowed to be placed in an office where people work. It has to have its own dedicated room or be in a corridor.

This is because of the ozone emitted (that funny smell) which is hazardous to health.

Same in the UK as well. Where I worked, they where in their own section in the office. This was due to H&S.

If all else fails,,, sabotage the thing

Anyone know the regs (health and safety) for placement of a photocopier? It’s a big all in one Xerox Workstation and the facilities team have decided to dump it behind me, getting pretty sick of the noise, the people and the smell….. so wan’t to back up my complaint with some facts

Maybe a bit jobsworth-like, but they are quick to quote all regulations when they want to change things so i want to have a go back haha.

cheers!

I'd imagine it would be classed as a hazard due to the noise and smell etc? I found sitting next to a printer bad for my breathing.

HELP...Can shop owners retrieve information from customers who have used shop owners in store photo copying machine? As the machines have a memory and scanner... therefore say at end of shop keepers day is there a way he can view all details of what his customers have had photo copied? Is the data viewable to the owner of photo copying machine after close of day? As in an area of elderly and vulnerable adults often on benefits requiring photo copies of financial details from bank statements to pension annuities documents ETC. who retrieve their copy not giving a thought to say the owner who views the memory and data that has been processed and copied by his machine. Is this POSSIBLE or does the signing up to a DATA PROTECTION ACT prevent them..But what about if they disregard this and do view data from copies made by machine from the memory capacity of the machine. Learning of locals private data who regularly use his shop and services. Would it be correct due to health and safety issues of such machines to be placed in accessible areas in the shop amongst shoppers and staff. Anyone with insight to these matters highlighted would be most appreciated.

Edited by VIEW2BUY

would entirely depend on the individual copier, I used to have one that had no recall whatsoever, but the main office one was all singing an dancing which could retain scnned docs for email/fax/copies.

cheers!

blimey good job you dont work in a factory:hihi:

would entirely depend on the individual copier, I used to have one that had no recall whatsoever, but the main office one was all singing an dancing which could retain scnned docs for email/fax/copies.

The reason I enquire is very recently my bank card was CLONED and tried online to pay for purchases. However my bank's FRAUD SQUAD were alerted almost instantly and blocked my card preventing myself or others using. My Bank Manager related all information retrieved from Their Fraud Squad which did highlight...That the card new from an expired card had been in use after activation only a few days. Whereupon in that time the ONLY activity shown was the Direct Debit set up for a council tenancy and submission of financial documents for PHOTO COPYING to be reviewed by Housing Benefit staff. Which could also lead to the information needed to CLONE my Bank Card. The Fraud Squad are still actively investigating the cards activity through the vendors of the Online businesses by the Fraudsters trying to use my card and its details. It does make one wonder how scrupulous staff are in such organisations to the preventing of such Private and Personal Data which can so easily be viewed from the Days activity of their In-Store photo copying machines.

So what happened again, you don't make much sense?

The council wanted a photocopy of your debit card?

So you went to a shop and got it done??

Could it not have equally been someone at the council taking the details off the photocopy of your card??

Asking for a papercopy of someones card details is pretty **** poor data protection IMO.