ALIGARGH in Crosspool

A restaurant called ALIGARH is being opened at the old Smiths/ Thyme/ Artisan site.

Does anyone have any further information eg when it is opening, what sort of menu etc

Authentic Indian menu with street food options I believe .. Opening in a couple of weeks

I like the name, at first glance at the thread title I read it as 'AAAARGH!'

Does anybody know if this is still part of Richard Smith's Artisan or has he sold out (at least the business if not the premises)? I note the Artisan signage remains on the corner of the building.

I recall The Dil Raj and also Kashmir Palace, two former curry houses which I used to pop into now and then (in the late 80s, early 90s) on this site. I thought it a shame that they closed, never mind being replaced by an overrated, overpriced Richard Smith venture.

Guest makapaka
Does anybody know if this is still part of Richard Smith's Artisan or has he sold out (at least the business if not the premises)? I note the Artisan signage remains on the corner of the building.

I recall The Dil Raj and also Kashmir Palace, two former curry houses which I used to pop into now and then (in the late 80s, early 90s) on this site. I thought it a shame that they closed, never mind being replaced by an overrated, overpriced Richard Smith venture.

I don't think it's anything to do with Richard Smith. The business was put up for sale. I didn't realise there were curry houses there originally.

Its a shame there's not a decent pub in Crosspool. Something like the hallamshire or closed shop at commonside. Would be nice to have a few pints and a curry close to home. Don't rate the sportsman or tavern for a drink.

Its a shame there's not a decent pub in Crosspool. Something like the hallamshire or closed shop at commonside. Would be nice to have a few pints and a curry close to home. Don't rate the sportsman or tavern for a drink.

Its not the greatest pub in the world but the sportman is always a decent place to go for a pint or two, good lagers on and rotating real ales.

I don't think it's anything to do with Richard Smith. The business was put up for sale. I didn't realise there were curry houses there originally.

We've just moved to Crosspool and still travel back to Commonside/Walkley for the pubs. They are pretty meh in Crosspool.

I liked Artisan before so I hope this is an Indian worth going to, rather than just one of your usual neighbourhood Indians which are a bit samey (like the Indian restaurants in Walkley)

Guest makapaka

Yes it's been open a couple of weeks.

Has anyone visited yet? A bit of a trek from our house so wanting other people to try it and give us some feedback...

Just got back from an early tea with the family.

Thought it was very good. Classy inside , proper tablecloths and napkins.

High quality cutlery , tableware etc.

Friendly staff (including a couple of chaps overseeing everything who I imagine are the owners).

Nothing too out of the ordinary on the menu but evrything we had was superbly cooked and spiced plus good quality meat and prawns.

Really good masala fish , lamb and chicken tikka starters. Lamb especially was melt in the mouth.

Excellent king prawn achar and a fresh tasting chicken Karahi

Yummy naan bread, fluffy on the inside, crispy and buttery on the outside.

Food certainly on a par with somewhere like the rajput but much better atmosphere.

Only criticism would be that my chicken Karahi could have been a bit spicier , think they are being a bit soft on the heat due to location (i.e. White middle class area) but that is easily solved next time.

Was getting very busy as we left and not huge inside (unless they have tables upstairs too, I didn't ask) so need to book.

Will be back to eat in and for takeaway as miles better than the ranmoor tandoori and Panahar (not hard to beat them as they are rubbish) plus I have given up on Paprikas takeaway due to terribly inconsistent food recently..

All in all , very pleased they have opened!