Plumbing Scams: Have You Been Scammed?

Recently we discovered a leak and suspected it came from the bathroom. The plumber came and replaced some sections of pipe beneath the bath, then claimed that all leaks were fixed. As he worked, a couple of very loud crashing noises came from the bathroom, like ceramic crashing in to ceramic. As it happens, the only ceramic in our bathroom, other than wall tiles (which couldn't make such a noise) is the toilet, and only that ceramic could make such a noise.

At the time, I dismissed the loud crashing noises, assuming that if anything had been broken, the plumber would let us know. A couple of weeks later, I discovered a long vertical crack down the corner of the toilet cistern, from which a new leak had sprung. The cistern must be @1cm thick, so I can't imagine how else it split (the bathroom is heated and we haven't had a frost).

When we called the plumber about the leak, as soon as he heard it was the toilet he quickly stated, without any prompt or obvious cause, "I didn't touch the toilet, don't try and pin that on me". Those sound like the words of a guilty person to me.

Has our plumber attempted a scam on us?

Have you been scammed in this way, or have you heard of this kind of scam happening to someone you know?

Please note, my main reason for posting here is to alert others to a probable scam, so that they may avoid a similar experience. ;)

Edited by Native lad

Unless he is insisting he repair/replace the toilet are he charges you then I don't see how it can be a scam?.

I do think he may have caused the damage to the toilet and now be denying all knowledge but this is more just bad workmanship, a bad tradesman etc

How have you left it with the Plumber? Did you find him on here (not asking you to name him). Do you know that he was actually a qualified Plumber and not just one of the very many "Handymen" who seem to be rife at the moment. Jack of all trades, Master of none.

I hope you manage to come to an agreement with the Plumber you used.

Mod Note

A word of warning in advance:-

Please be aware of the forum rules about naming and shaming of third parties, and do not post names.

Thanks

Recently we discovered a leak and suspected it came from the bathroom. The plumber came and replaced some sections of pipe beneath the bath, then claimed that all leaks were fixed. As he worked, a couple of very loud crashing noises came from the bathroom, like ceramic crashing in to ceramic. As it happens, the only ceramic in our bathroom, other than wall tiles (which couldn't make such a noise) is the toilet, and only that ceramic could make such a noise.

At the time, I dismissed the loud crashing noises, assuming that if anything had been broken, the plumber would let us know. A couple of weeks later, I discovered a long vertical crack down the corner of the toilet cistern, from which a new leak had sprung. The cistern must be @1cm thick, so I can't imagine how else it split (the bathroom is heated and we haven't had a frost).

When we called the plumber about the leak, as soon as he heard it was the toilet he quickly stated, without any prompt or obvious cause, "I didn't touch the toilet, don't try and pin that on me". Those sound like the words of a guilty person to me.

Has our plumber attempted a scam on us?

Have you been scammed in this way, or have you heard of this kind of scam happening to someone you know?

I think you might have inspected the work before payment.By the way,do you not have a ceramic basin?

I would not call this a scam,more a case of evasiveness,if it is true.

I think you might have inspected the work before payment.By the way,do you not have a ceramic basin?

I would not call this a scam,more a case of evasiveness,if it is true.

Yes, we could have inspected the work, but it was under the bath, not the toilet, so I would not have looked at the toilet. Even if I had looked at the toilet, it would have been easy to miss the damage, as the hairline crack is not readily apparent on the outer surface (hence why it took two weeks for me to even notice the damage) - you have to look very closely.

The plumber did not insist we have him fit a new toilet, although we were going to let him do that, until what had actually taken place dawned on me. He never even suggested repair as an option.

Such a scam could be very lucrative, even if it only results in more work 5% of the time. ;)

As I previously implied, we do not have a ceramic basin.

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:54 ----------

Unless he is insisting he repair/replace the toilet are he charges you then I don't see how it can be a scam?.

I do think he may have caused the damage to the toilet and now be denying all knowledge but this is more just bad workmanship, a bad tradesman etc

How have you left it with the Plumber? Did you find him on here (not asking you to name him). Do you know that he was actually a qualified Plumber and not just one of the very many "Handymen" who seem to be rife at the moment. Jack of all trades, Master of none.

I hope you manage to come to an agreement with the Plumber you used.

Please refer to my earlier posting, posted today at 13:45.

The plumber claimed to be qualified and have many years of experience. Like many others I guess, we did not know what minimum paper qualifications/certificates of competence a plumber should have and we did not ask to see any, nor did we ask for references (I doubt few people actually do that anyway).

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:57 ----------

Mod Note

A word of warning in advance:-

Please be aware of the forum rules about naming and shaming of third parties, and do not post names.

Thanks

Obviously, I am not going to provide names, particularly as I do not have direct evidence that the plumber caused malicious damage. Plus, even if I did name the plumber, my posting would be removed anyway.

Edited by Native lad

I'm not sure how you should go forward regarding this other than to seek out another plumber to put right the damage caused by the original plumber or seek compensation from your original plumber though this may require evidence.

It is a difficult one as as you will know it your word against his. Of course the scam of 'rogue tradesmen' creating further job opportunities does exist though hopefully this is rare. It still could be that it was an accident that he didn't want to admit to nor put right at his own cost.

Qualification wise you are right, not many people ask for proof of qualifications etc but all reputable/genuine tradesmen would be more than happy to provide customers with these. Even just asking to see them usually weeds out the bad ones.

There are many honest, good, reliable plumbers on here many who you can find recommended if you decide to have someone else replace to toilet. I would be tempted to try and get your plumber to accept resposability.

Good luck in whatever you decide, it's not a nice position to be left in.

As he worked, a couple of very loud crashing noises came from the bathroom, like ceramic crashing in to ceramic. As it happens, the only ceramic in our bathroom, other than wall tiles (which couldn't make such a noise) is the toilet, and only that ceramic could make such a noise.

At the time, I dismissed the loud crashing noises, assuming that if anything had been broken, the plumber would let us know.

You heard very loud crashing noises and dismissed them. That was very VERY trusting of you. I would have been straight in to ask WTF was that noise. From what you have said, he obviously did the damage, but now you have no recourse. A lesson learned eh.

I'm not sure how you should go forward regarding this other than to seek out another plumber to put right the damage caused by the original plumber or seek compensation from your original plumber though this may require evidence.

It is a difficult one as as you will know it your word against his. Of course the scam of 'rogue tradesmen' creating further job opportunities does exist though hopefully this is rare. It still could be that it was an accident that he didn't want to admit to nor put right at his own cost.

Qualification wise you are right, not many people ask for proof of qualifications etc but all reputable/genuine tradesmen would be more than happy to provide customers with these. Even just asking to see them usually weeds out the bad ones.

There are many honest, good, reliable plumbers on here many who you can find recommended if you decide to have someone else replace to toilet. I would be tempted to try and get your plumber to accept resposability.

Good luck in whatever you decide, it's not a nice position to be left in.

There are qualifications relating to plumbing but this is a matter of integrity.Many qualified people may be able to do the job but may opt for a different solution,one which is simpler or even one which generates more work.

I'm sure you're right. However, as a tradesman myself, I know that very few - at least in my trade - actually carry their certificates around in their van. In my trade, all practitioners are supposed to carry a credit card size piece of card or plastic provided by the examining body which states precisely which competences the practitioner has. In truth, very few practitioners do actually carry it in the van or in their pocket, as it would be likely to get damaged, lost or stolen. Employers should keep a copy, but few do. In over twenty years in my trade I do not think more than two clients have actually asked to see my card, let alone certificates.

I think it will be difficult to get the plumber to admit liability if they have already said it wasn't them. Not sure what they were doing in the toilet in the first place unless it had to be moved to get under the bath.

I think it will be difficult to get the plumber to admit liability if they have already said it wasn't them. Not sure what they were doing in the toilet in the first place unless it had to be moved to get under the bath.

I agree. I'm not even going to try. ...Too much stress, for what it's worth, especially when I can repair it myself.

The plumber didn't have to move the toilet, just remove the plastic side panel from the bath (four screws ...one of which the plumber sheared off and didn't extract or replace).

I'm sure you're right. However, as a tradesman myself, I know that very few - at least in my trade - actually carry their certificates around in their van. In my trade, all practitioners are supposed to carry a credit card size piece of card or plastic provided by the examining body which states precisely which competences the practitioner has. In truth, very few practitioners do actually carry it in the van or in their pocket, as it would be likely to get damaged, lost or stolen. Employers should keep a copy, but few do. In over twenty years in my trade I do not think more than two clients have actually asked to see my card, let alone certificates.

I am surprised you have been duped as most tradesmen get a small network of trusted helpers.