Letting Agent Issues

Hi All,

I'm having a few issues with our current letting agent and thought someone might be able to help?

I'm currently living in a shared house and have found a new flat that I'm wanting to move into. Everything has been arranged for me to move into the new flat on the 1st Nov.

Now reading through my contract with my current letting agent they ask for 4 weeks notice. I rang my letting agent who asked me to send them an email outlining when I was wanting to move out etc... I sent the email 16th Oct, I also asked to see if they would accept 2 weeks notice (cheeky I know but worth a try!?)

A week has gone by now and I still haven't received anything back from the letting agent. I rang them Tuesday and they said they would have to hold me to the 4 weeks notice (which is what I was realistically expecting), they said they would email me the next day with what would happen next e.g. handing keys back, final rent payment (as this would only be 2 weeks worth) but yet they still haven't got in touch.

I sent them another "gentle" reminder by email yesterday enquiring what would happen next etc......still nothing!

What I'm hoping isn't going to happen is for them to turn round and say "We haven't received your emails" and deny any telephone conversations we've had explaining that I've given them my notice, and for them to ask for a full months rent.

In the email I sent them yesterday I had attached the original "notice email" I sent them on the 16th which has the time and date of when I originally sent it. I also have a receipt from their email provider stating that yesterdays email was successfully delivered to their mailbox (I did request a receipt to say it had been opened but I've not received one yet so they've either not opened it or that receipt is only for my companies internal email).

What I'm wanting to know really, have I covered myself (with the above information with sending emails and proof of delivery) to say that I have actually given them notice if they turn round and say they've never received anything from me?

Any information on this would be useful!

Thanks

Swain90

You say "shared house".

1. Does L live there too?

2. Was your letting to you alone or you+other(s)?

3. Was your letting:

a. for a fixed term; and if it was

b. has that term already expired?

1) I presume you mean Land Lord? - No they don't live there, they're a letting agent

2) The letting agent is in control of the house, e.g. rent, bills, management etc... and there are 6 tenants (including myself)

3) The letting is a 6 month fixed term as the original letting agent went bust and presumably the new agent can't change the terms within this time. We have a 4 week notice period stated in the "new/temporary" contract. It also mentions that if a "mutual agreement" is made then this may be cut short.

Edited by Swain90