Looking for a nice village/small town between Sheffield and Durham

Hi all,

My husband and I have just moved to Sheffield and are looking to buy a house somewhere between Sheffield and Durham as my husband has just taken a job there. We don't know the area at all but we're looking for a nice village/small town which is easily commutable to both towns. My office is right opposite Sheffield train station so somewhere on the train line would be ideal.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Jess.

Have a look at which of the train stations along your route have parking at the train station and costs. This will then make it easier when travelling from your chosen area for your commute.

Not small, but York has to be considered

York is really nice place but traffic/transport is a real issue there especially in peak season - husband used to live there. Just a thought.

Durham is miles away :o is it a daily commute?

Half-way between the two is roughly Harrogate, thats a very nice place :)

The train from York->Sheffield is only about 45-50 mins, so if you can afford to do that and live in York that might be an option?

Edited by geared

The obvious place, especially for the train, as already mentioned, is York.

If that's too big, then Harrogate.

If that's too big, then there are some lovely villages around there, but will be an even longer commute!

Harome, Helmsley, Easingwold, Hovingham, etc.

I recommend you spend a Weekend in the area and have a drive around. Stay at the Pheasant in Harome, have a meal there, and also at the Star Inn across the road...

I lived in Sheffield years ago and worked in Durham. I think Ripon or Thirsk are ideal as you have rail connections plus the A19 & A1. They are both loveky places.

Hi all,

My husband and I have just moved to Sheffield and are looking to buy a house somewhere between Sheffield and Durham as my husband has just taken a job there. We don't know the area at all but we're looking for a nice village/small town which is easily commutable to both towns. My office is right opposite Sheffield train station so somewhere on the train line would be ideal.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received!

Jess.

Somewhere around Darlington?

Coniscliffes, Manfield, Tyas, Stapleton, Barton, Piercebridge, Croft?

(Hurworth is still a village, but is a bit of an "estate" village, where houses were built in the '60s)

and if you're in the city centre, train is 90 minutes station-station

Rail connections are not great in Thirsk, as only TPE tend to stop there

Unlike Northallerton who also get a (limited) East Coast seevice. (dittoCross Country?)

Northallerton has Leeming, Bedale, the Wiskes, Ainderby - all handy for the A1.

Car--- road map---- Point yourself north, and go and explore .