Running car on cooking oil

I thought I'd read/heard somewhere that you still needed to pay duty on the oil and therefore it was technically illegal to run a road car on vegetable oil. Is this not the case anymore?

I was sure I heard years ago somewhere that Diesel originally designed his engine to run on water. I couldn't find any reference to it, but I used to drive a lorry.

By way of an experiment I started to add a little water in with the fuel every time I filled up. I don't recall now how much I added but there seemed no difference in performance or MPG. Now for all I know, long term, it may damage the engine so wouldn't necessarily recommend it but I'm just stating the results.

Why not, it's perfectly legal if you follow the law and choose an appropriate engine for the task.

I was meaning so as not to damage the engine.

This is also false

No it isn't, read about the man and his ideas.

I am not going to try and teach you, find out for yourself.

You have a very abrupt tone I must say.

Edited by Jacktari

Is it true you can run your diesel car on cooking oil ? A guy in pub was saying the diesel car he has run for ages on the stuff with no problems anyone ever tried this! :huh:

:huh:

Hmmm...

... I think this only works if your car engine has been chipped! :suspect:

:huh:

Hmmm...

... I think this only works if your car engine has been chipped! :suspect:

Ba-dum-tish.

No it isn't, read about the man and his ideas.

I am not going to try and teach you, find out for yourself.

You have a very abrupt tone I must say.

Diesels original engines were not designed to run on peanut oil nor did he set out so to do. His patent applications and design notes clearly show that he originally intended them to run on coal dust and they did so.

At the Paris Exhibition there was one that ran on vegetable oil and this was also run on peanut oil but this was considerably after his patent application and after Sulzer, Krupp and Branobel had licenced the technology from Diesel.

Diesels original engines were not designed to run on peanut oil nor did he set out so to do. His patent applications and design notes clearly show that he originally intended them to run on coal dust and they did so.

At the Paris Exhibition there was one that ran on vegetable oil and this was also run on peanut oil but this was considerably after his patent application and after Sulzer, Krupp and Branobel had licenced the technology from Diesel.

If you believe that fine, carry on.

It is not worth arguing about.

I am right, you just carry on. Life is too short to be overly concerned.

I am right, you just carry on.

Lol at this pellet!

Crack on son, who cares if everyone else questions you eh? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

If you believe that fine, carry on.

It is not worth arguing about.

I am right, you just carry on. Life is too short to be overly concerned.

I do beleive it. You are wrong - you are deomonstrably wrong and you have the gall to try and call others out as a cover for your own mistake. Have you done the research of the primary sources? No of course you havent. IF you had you couldread the patent application 608845 - assuming you can understand the language. It refers to pulverent SOLID fuel - ie coal dust not peanut oil. https://www.google.co.uk/patents/US608845

You owe the poster you "corrected" in your inimitable manner an apology.

I do beleive it. You are wrong - you are deomonstrably wrong and you have the gall to try and call others out as a cover for your own mistake. Have you done the research of the primary sources? No of course you havent. IF you had you couldread the patent application 608845 - assuming you can understand the language. It refers to pulverent SOLID fuel - ie coal dust not peanut oil. https://www.google.co.uk/patents/US608845

You owe the poster you "corrected" in your inimitable manner an apology.

We are only talking about peanut oil here you know. :)

You are over reacting a little bit here.

Does it really mean so much to you?

It is time you reassessed your priorities.

Now take a deep breath and calm down. :hihi:

BTW I did also mention coal dust. ;)

We are only talking about peanut oil here you know. :)

You are over reacting a little bit here.

Does it really mean so much to you?

It is time you reassessed your priorities.

Now take a deep breath and calm down. :hihi:

BTW I did also mention coal dust. ;)

You going to apologise to me and Geared for accusing us of not knowing what we are talking about and lying?

You seemed to make it a big deal in your posts then all of a sudden oh its no problem when you realise you've just had your nose rubbed in it. :roll:

You going to apologise to me and Geared for accusing us of not knowing what we are talking about and lying?

You seemed to make it a big deal in your posts then all of a sudden oh its no problem when you realise you've just had your nose rubbed in it. :roll:

You are serious about this aren't you? Or just having the new boy on? :D

If it means so much to you, I am sorry you are so upset by my assertions.

You must try to learn to not to take things to heart so much. :hihi: