Insuring a Flat Roofed House?

Hi

I am having trouble finding out the exact building materials for my house. I have been informed that my house is Steel Framed and Timber Clad, but also to the contrary that is it Timber Framed and Steel Enforced or just Timber Framed.

It's a flat roof house that resembles a "Vic Hallam" construction, but I am 99% sure it is not an actual Vic Hallam build, I was told these houses were actually designed by a woman whose name I cannot recall.

I need to know the material of the roof also. I am assuming it is Felt on Timber, but again, I'm not sure, it could be felt on top of ashpalt. These houses were built in 1964 and in the Broomhall area.

I tried the Council as it was originally a Council house and they told me to email hist@sheffield.gov.uk. You'd think the council would know as they still own the rest of the row of houses and have to insure them.

I did email the above address(Housing and Neighbourhood Services Communities) and they replied it was Timber Framed, however, I'm sure I've been told, albeit anecdotally, that the row of houses is constructed with a steel frame.

I've had one insurance quote and had to mess around to get that and they are classing it as Prefab Non Combustible with felt on timber roof, which is also a guess. They also quote a £500 excess on the roof and only on condition of a Roof Inspection and report from a professional roofer.

I'm asking my solicitor if these details are on the Deeds, but it may turn out they are not on there either.

I'm going round in circles, can anyone help?

Thanks.

the council dont insure their houses

can you give the road address ( or a google street view) as someone may be able to help as system/non trad are quite easy to identify.

but as they have replied that it is a timber framed i see no reason to doubt them.

I'm asking my solicitor if these details are on the Deeds, but it may turn out they are not on there either.

No, they aren't.

But look at your Homebuyer's Survey Report- the one that (I hope) you commissioned before exchanging contracts to purchase the house. Details of construction methods should definitely be shown there, at least.

They may have bought it from the council for a fraction of its open market value under Right to Buy in which case a survey has relatively little use as you can't negotiate on the price, and it's unlikely to be about to fall down :hihi:

They may have bought it from the council for a fraction of its open market value under Right to Buy in which case a survey has relatively little use as you can't negotiate on the price, and it's unlikely to be about to fall down

I'd still recommend a Homebuyer's Survey because:

a. of the known non-standard construction method, in this case; and

b. generally it produces evidence from which one can negotiate-down the property's open-market valuation (prior to effect of discount).

I'd still recommend a Homebuyer's Survey because:

a. of the known non-standard construction method, in this case; and

b. generally it produces evidence from which one can negotiate-down the property's open-market valuation (prior to effect of discount).

The council's surveyor should have established the open market value taking into account the non standard construction method- which they will have full knowledge of- and which to be fair, the council could easily find out for the OP if they got through to a helpful person in the right department

Edited by lil-minx92

But an RTB purchaser has the right to refer valuation for the District Valuer (HMRC) to reconsider.

Like every court case/dispute/disagreement, it's resolved by evidence. Why not obtain just that before becoming lumbered?

Agreed the survey may pick up other issues to reduce value but the construction method would have already been accounted for and a survey wouldn't be required to establish the construction method. :)