Becoming more and more disappointed with my fellow man

'Becoming more and more disappointed with my fellow man.'

Sorry to hear you're feeling like that. But as other posters have pointed out, there are still a lot of good people out there.

I think we are living through particularly difficult times at the moment which is bringing out the worst in some people. We are in a state of flux and people have forgotten how important it is to simply be kind to each other. They are not helped by the examples of those with power and influence at the top of society either, who are motivated by nothing but money and greed.

There is hope though. For every bad story you hear about, remember there are several good ones that never make it into the news. Nice people go about their business quietly and don't make a big splash. Personally, I love the 'Pay it forwards' idea of how good deeds that can change the world.

All we can do is continue to try and set good examples to those around us and hope the tide changes soon.

When you have meanness as fundamental to popular entertainment it's hard to maintain a belief that most people are decent human beings. Take the sneering, sniggering, braying spite of the audience members of Simon Cowell and Simon Cowell lite TV talent shows; the DM's 'sidebar of shame', so popular that it propelled the online version of the rag to be one of the most popular sites on the internet and to inspire numerous clones; venom-spewing newspaper columnist and social media trolls inspiring not revulsion in some people but applause and nods of agreement and, in the case of the gamergate nasties, real-world acts of outrageous hatefulness.

It's an extension of the age-old bully with a ****ty life anxious to perceive someone else as even less fortunate than them while shoring up their own existence. 'Twas ever thus, but with new opportunities and arenas in which to show off just how much of an arsehole you are to an ever-expanding audience, it's easy to believe that we're being swamped in a morass of hatefulness.

Way to hijack a thread to push forward your own agenda. You should be a politician chem.

It is still on topic?

A few people say nasty things, it isn't that big of a deal, it has always happened. When everyone says nasty things to/about a certain group, then it becomes a problem. You have to ask what groups are constantly put down though?

(It isn't just the young)

The problem is there are no consequences. People act like this and then hide behind stuff like the "human rights act". In the past someone would have punched them in the face at a young age and they'd have learnt their lesson then and there.

You do post some tripe. Still think the UK is going to be 10 different countries in the next couple of years?

On topic though, what has any of this got to do with the human rights act? Do you seriously believe that punching someone in the face was legal before we signed the human rights act?

One of the great misanthropes of SF in fine form there advocating punching children in the face.

What could possibly be wrong about such a brilliant idea?

I may have missed something but what children did he advocate punching in the face?

I may have missed something but what children did he advocate punching in the face?

Read the post to which Halibut referred:

The problem is there are no consequences. People act like this and then hide behind stuff like the "human rights act". In the past someone would have punched them in the face at a young age and they'd have learnt their lesson then and there

It is difficult to interpret that as anything other than condoning violence, specifically the punching of children in the face. It is being offered to us, is it not, as a solution to a problem which is (regrettably, according to HappHazzard) no longer available. The clear inference is that if it were [available], the world would be a better place.

Edited by aliceBB

Cheer up, life is good, Tories will be in for at least ten years. Hallelujah.

I'm not sure how you managed to link: The Tory Government, the downfall of society and the online bullying of an American woman????

Also what can any government do to stop some ropey old tart from Preston stealing a football shirt from some poor kid??

Read the post to which Halibut referred:

It is difficult to interpret that as anything other than condoning violence, specifically the punching of children in the face. It is being offered to us, is it not, as a solution to a problem which is (regrettably, according to HappHazzard) no longer available. The clear inference is that if it were [available], the world would be a better place.

You are of course correct at it turns out I did miss something.

In the past someone would have punched them in the face at a young age and they'd have learnt their lesson

Punching people to teach them compassion.

:rolleyes:

Cheer up, life is good, Tories will be in for at least ten years. Hallelujah.

What a simplistic asinine statement.

Still, as long as life is good for you, don't worry about anyone else will you....

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Fixed quotes